PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Whatever written terminal says: No such file or directory

amelie
October 22nd, 2008, 08:20 PM
Hi there!
I'm trying to install ndiswrapper in order to handle the windows drivers for my D-Link wireless usb adapter. I downloaded the tar.gz package and extracted it (it didn't happen the way it was pointed in the INSTALL file, because the package was in the home directory and the answer of the terminal No such file or directory anooyed me...) So i extracted it the regular way -> on the Desktop and when trying to change to the folder: ndiswrapper-1.53 by the command: cd /Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53, it keeps telling me: NO such file or directory...
Thanks for reading my complaints, i'm just too upset being unable to run my internet :)

MrWES
October 22nd, 2008, 08:22 PM
try cd ~/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53

which is the same thing as cd /home/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53

Bill

sisco311
October 22nd, 2008, 08:24 PM
type:

cdpress space and drag and drop the folder in the terminal window, then press enter.

amelie
October 22nd, 2008, 08:24 PM
Bill: No change...
sisco311: i always copy the filename right from the folder on my desktop if you think i just make spelling mistake ;) But when i did this it just opened a file browser, it didn't make my way to the directory

oldos2er
October 22nd, 2008, 08:29 PM
Hi there!
I'm trying to install ndiswrapper in order to handle the windows drivers for my D-Link wireless usb adapter. I downloaded the tar.gz package and extracted it (it didn't happen the way it was pointed in the INSTALL file, because the package was in the home directory and the answer of the terminal No such file or directory anooyed me...) So i extracted it the regular way -> on the Desktop and when trying to change to the folder: ndiswrapper-1.53 by the command: cd /Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53, it keeps telling me: NO such file or directory...
Thanks for reading my complaints, i'm just too upset being unable to run my internet :)

Your command "cd /Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53" is incorrect, because the leading "/" tells bash to start looking from the root directory. The proper command would be "cd /home/[username]/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53". Replace [username] with your user name.

northern lights
October 22nd, 2008, 08:31 PM
You neglected "/home/USER/, where USER is your username, before Desktop/...

further get acquainted with the TAB key's function to the bash shell. It's autocompletion helps a lot when trying to avoid this exact error.

amelie
October 22nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
I think I did it guys! Thank you very much :)!!!

jerome1232
October 22nd, 2008, 08:37 PM
edit: yeah I was a bit late :)

As oldos2er stated the leading slash makes it incorrect. should be one of these three (assuming your pwd is your home directory). ~/ means /home/currentusersnamehere

cd Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53
cd ~/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53
cd /home/usernamehere/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53

sadimus
February 23rd, 2010, 06:27 AM
Ok here's my problem. I'm trying to install windows 7 unto my netbook. The problem is I've hit a roadblock, I'm using an intel mac to prepare my flash drive so it can be bootable. I unmounted it using diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk2
Unmount of all volumes on disk2 was successful

Which you can see was succesful. Now im trying to mount the windows7.iso image unto the flash drive and i keep getting this error. The image is on my desktop. Am I not specifying the path properly?

sudo dd if=/home/sadiq/windows7222.iso of=/dev/disk2 bs=1m
dd: /home/sadiq/windows7222.iso: No such file or directory

Can someone point me in the right direction please???

anjilslaire
February 23rd, 2010, 07:12 AM
list the content of your home directory:
<code>ls</code>

Also, remember: Linux is case-sensitive. If the file is Windows7222.iso, its not windows7222.iso

TheDolt
October 22nd, 2010, 11:03 AM
Your command "cd /Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53" is incorrect, because the leading "/" tells bash to start looking from the root directory. The proper command would be "cd /home/[username]/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53". Replace [username] with your user name.

I was doing something different but this worked like a charm! Thanks!!:)