PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] FTP sync?

ubudave
October 22nd, 2008, 07:50 PM
Hello all

I have been trying out ubuntu for a bit now and I have the good fortune to have found a old laptop that works great with it. I am now using three computers and I am starting to have problems keeping track of my data. I have a domain with 500gb of space for files so I thought I would start to use ftp to sync files there then down to my computers. To sum this up does anyone know of a easy to use and understand way to sync files via ftp? Thanks in advance for any help!

bodhi.zazen
October 22nd, 2008, 08:06 PM
I am not so good with ftp, may I suggest samba, NFS, or rsync ?

It depends on what you mean by "sync".

Nxion
October 22nd, 2008, 08:11 PM
As bodhi.zazen suggested, rsync sounds like the way to go.

What is your domain hosting service company?

ubudave
October 22nd, 2008, 08:20 PM
I use Bluehost for domain hosting. I Have a windows PC at work. I have a Mac at home and I am playing around with Ubuntu on a laptop. I want one central place to keep "My documents" and music/video files so that If I add something or make a change I can get it form any computer I am on.

Nxion
October 22nd, 2008, 08:33 PM
Lets approach this from another way. How much data do you want to sync? What is the total size?

ubudave
October 22nd, 2008, 08:37 PM
Lets approach this from another way. How much data do you want to sync? What is the total size?

it's going to be between 40-60gb total. No single file over 1.3 gb

jerome1232
October 22nd, 2008, 08:40 PM
I would go rsync since it can send only what needs to be updated, only the first round of transfers are gunna take 2 years :D. You don't want to transfer 40-60G every time you want to sync up.

ubudave
October 22nd, 2008, 08:45 PM
Ok looks like its time to learn rsync. I have been trying to avoid that :) I will use a ext hard drive to move the data at first. That should save a lot of time. Thank you for your advice.

Nxion
October 22nd, 2008, 09:09 PM
Here is a little bit more info fro you

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/rsync (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/rsync)

Titan8990
October 22nd, 2008, 09:11 PM
Also, the rsync man page is one of the best resources out there.

bodhi.zazen
October 22nd, 2008, 09:32 PM
rsync is a snap to learn and you can tunnel over ssh if you wish :twisted:

http://sial.org/howto/rsync/

Moglum
March 16th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I am a fresh Ubuntu user - loving it so far ;) - but I found a pretty simple way to synchronize files over FTP, using lftp.

Create a script for lftp:

open ftp://username:password@ftp.mydomain.cz
mirror -R -v --only-newer /home/moglum/folderToBackup /remoteFolder

and a shell script to execute it

lftp -f backupScript.txt &

This makes a backup of your local folder to the remote server.
To get your files from the server you would use a similar script. Something like this:

open ftp://username:password@ftp.mydomain.cz
mirror -v --only-newer /remoteFolder /home/moglum/folderToBackup

Simple enough for me and working well. man page for lftp is a great resource. You can easily backup multiple folders, log the activity to a file or schedule your backups.

stefsegers
February 11th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Hi Moglum,

You tutorial is really great. Since I am a real noob on Ubuntu (Mac User) this was very hard for me to do.

I made the script working with lftp and it's downloading/mirroring the webserver to my local machine.

There are some thing I still have a question about and I can't find the answer.

1. how can I schedule the lftp scrip.txt to run every week or so?
2. can I monitor and see how far the ftp mirroring is?
3. can I add more servers in my scipt.txt? So I have 2 webservers I want to backup to my local machine.

I hope you understand what I am trying to do and can help me out here

Stefan

qwerty9967
August 30th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Ubuntu has a great way to do scheduling of anything that can be run from the command line. There is a great tutorial for this that can be found here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CronHowto

I hope this helps.