PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] UBUNTU. A stand alone CD?

cypher000
October 22nd, 2008, 03:09 PM
Hi guy's. Thank for letting me come in on this great forum. Once a long time ago it seems. I had a CD with Linux and it would run Linux without actually having to install it on my computer. This was very convenient for me at the time. I have not done anything with Linux since then as the software seemed to be much inferior to Windows. However after reading so much about Ubuntu I feel that I would like to try again, if there is a similar Ubuntu CD which I can run the software with and without having to actually install it on my hard drive. At least till I have given it a through checking out. Does anyone know of such a CD or am I not making sense? Many thanks for any help. Regards Walt.:lolflag:

perlluver
October 22nd, 2008, 03:12 PM
That is called a live cd, and yes Ubuntu does offer that as the normal download from there site. http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download, download it from there, you will most likely want the top option, of 32 bit. Be sure to burn it at 4x, then reboot with it in the machine, and pick, try Ubuntu without changes to computer.

Murph223
October 22nd, 2008, 03:23 PM
forgive a noob question here, but if i chose the "try without any changes" option from the Live CD, then any files i might move around or copy will essentially appear as if it never happened when i boot back into Windows, right?

perlluver
October 22nd, 2008, 03:25 PM
Right, depends on what you are moving, but if you create a document, and save it, it will not save. If you move a file on your hard drive, or delete one, that will be permanent.

Murph223
October 22nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
...thanks. And if i copy and paste, will that also be permanent?

northern lights
October 22nd, 2008, 03:29 PM
yup.

perlluver
October 22nd, 2008, 03:29 PM
...thanks. And if i copy and paste, will that also be permanent?

If you copy and paste from your hard drive, to the ubuntu Desktop no. If you copy and paste to another folder on the hard drive, yes. As the CD is not able to be written to, it will act as it never happened.

Murph223
October 22nd, 2008, 03:34 PM
Ok thanks, i'll give it another shot. I tried earlier to copy/paste a couple of system files out of the system32 directory but didn't see them when i got back into Windows.

perlluver
October 22nd, 2008, 03:37 PM
Ok thanks, i'll give it another shot. I tried earlier to copy/paste a couple of system files out of the system32 directory but didn't see them when i got back into Windows.

What did you copy and where did you try to paste them?

Murph223
October 22nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
i'm trying to get the SAM and SYSTEM files out of system32/config and paste into another existing directory. I have to get a forgotten admin password for a family member...

perlluver
October 22nd, 2008, 03:46 PM
i'm trying to get the SAM and SYSTEM files out of system32/config and paste into another existing directory. I have to get a forgotten admin password for a family member...

Oh then the hard drive containing Windows has to be mounted so you can copy and paste them, and be careful when doing that, you could delete important things.

Murph223
October 22nd, 2008, 03:48 PM
AH. ok then. although it may be an obvious enough task, is it something fairly simple that you could explain to me please?

perlluver
October 22nd, 2008, 03:51 PM
When you are logged into the CD, at the top, under places, it should have the Windows hard drive listed, click on it, it should load up. When you are in there, you can do what you need to do. Sorry can't help more than that. As I can't see what you are doing.

Murph223
October 22nd, 2008, 03:52 PM
oh, ok then its as simple as being able to see the Windows disk under "places". Thanks for the tip...i'll give it another shot.

Murph223
October 22nd, 2008, 04:19 PM
alright, it worked. i must not have been holding my mouth right the first time! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Murph223
October 22nd, 2008, 04:26 PM
Actually i spoke too soon. I'm getting an error on the copied files that they are corrupted and unreadable.

SO, next question: from within the "test" run of the LiveCD, can i run an application that is installed on the windows disk?

northern lights
October 22nd, 2008, 04:29 PM
SO, next question: from within the "test" run of the LiveCD, can i run an application that is installed on the windows disk?
Out of the box you can't - neither with the LiveCD ("test run") or from a regular install. While some apps are available for both systems (most Windows free / open source apps are actually ports from GNU/Linux), Linux binaries are different. I.e. Linux cannot run .exe executables...

On a regular install you could add Wine, a Windows emulator, and run .exes if there's no Linux alternative. Or run XP in a virtual machine. But for now, the answer is No.

Murph223
October 22nd, 2008, 04:32 PM
hmm. ok thanks, at least i've learned something today. I just wish i knew why the files were corrupted. i wonder if i could just phsyically move them out of the dir, do what i need to do in windows, then re-boot the LiveCd and put them back...

northern lights
October 22nd, 2008, 04:47 PM
I understood where the files are from (C:\Windows\system32\...) but other than that I haven't really understood what you're trying to accomplish. Exactly what files are you handling and what do you need to do with them?
Just read them?
Modify 'em?
Execute 'em? (as explained above, that most likely won't work)

stalkingwolf
October 22nd, 2008, 04:59 PM
The files you are working with might have been corupted by a virus,malware,
or trojan.

In Windows you can try running Norton System works to fix them. Another
option would be to try Backtrack linux.

Duck2006
October 22nd, 2008, 05:00 PM
Why not install ubuntu to a usb flash drive so any changes you make will be saved and come up on the next time you use the drive.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
http://www.blog.solarwind.metafy.org/2008/02/17/setting-up-a-usb-stick-on-windows-to-act-like-an-ubuntu-installation-cd/