PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Another wireless question

nu2this2
October 22nd, 2008, 03:04 PM
Geetings,

Well, I've tried the suggestions that are in the Documentation section that refers to network manager.I see the Network Settings box, I check the unlock box, enter password, click wireless settings and then can't continue any further.I don't see any networks listed. There are at least six active networks in my neighborhood. my Dell is only 15 feet from my router and yet does not list it. Ubuntu doesn't seem to see my wireless card. The card ( Buffalo G54 Turbu)is plugged into the side on a Dell Latitude and the power light never comes on.

Any Ideas?

Thank you.

dynastywarrior
October 22nd, 2008, 03:25 PM
Buffalo wireless products seemed to have some kind of handicap when you're using it with Linux.According to their tech guys, their products are primarily designed for windoz only...

So I encountered this kind of problem also the first time i used buffalo's wireless USB adapter.

I'm using Buffalo KG54-AI wireless key chain and now i had no problems connecting it to my wireless router.

Try to change your router's security settings to something lower than WPA/WPA2...maybe WEP or open system.That is how I made it to work for me.But before you do this,you have to be sure that there is no security threat around your wireless network bec. you will be lowering your network's security level.

Buffalo with linux doesn't work with WPA/WPA2 system....

nu2this2
October 22nd, 2008, 04:05 PM
I changed adapters and now I can only see two choices.
1. Wired connection.
2. Point to point connection.

Wireless connection is not an option any longer.

Anyone have an idea as to what's happening? :confused::confused:

lafferjm
October 22nd, 2008, 05:10 PM
Hm i had this problem before and the solution for me was pretty simple. On the taskbar right click on the networking icon. Make sure networking is enabled. If is then just left click on the icon and your choices should be there to choose from.