View Full Version : [ubuntu] icon placement (under transparent terminal)

October 22nd, 2008, 05:10 AM
this may seem mildly trivial but it's annoying me a bit

i have an embedded/ transparent terminal on the top left corner of my desktop. (see pic)
however, when i download things or add icons to the desktop they appear behind the trans. terminal.
i tried to fill it with hidden icons which didn't work (they just landed right on top of them) but this also happened when the filler icons were not hidden/ just actual folders which seemed odd to me.
is there a way to work around this and to make icons avoid being on top of each other?
like i said, seems trivial, but pretty annoying to have to grab a bunch of icons just to move the downloaded file out from behind the term.

thanks a lot

October 22nd, 2008, 05:30 AM
is that devilspie? There must be some .rc file for user space configuration where you can set own_window or define a space for the thing...the way conky is running.

October 22nd, 2008, 06:12 AM
no it's not.
i'm running compiz (window rules etc.)
the terminal shows up on all desktops.
however, files can still be placed under conky as well (you just can't see them as you can with the terminal)
so i don't think defining the window etc. in the same way as conky will help.
in the most basic sense of things: i'm hoping there is a way to make icons basically avoid landing on each other or somehow define the window so that icons can't go under it.