PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error from add/rmove application

BrandNewSandy
October 22nd, 2008, 04:04 AM
I've gotten tis error
Failed to check for installed and available applications

This is a major failure of your software management system. Please check for broken packages with synaptic, check the file permissions and correctness of the file '/etc/apt/sources.list' and reload the software information with: 'sudo apt-get update' and 'sudo apt-get install -f'.

Can anybody tell me how ??
Please walk me thru.

eternalnewbee
October 22nd, 2008, 04:07 AM
What were you trying to install?

drakeman007
October 22nd, 2008, 04:21 AM
I've gotten tis error
Failed to check for installed and available applications

This is a major failure of your software management system. Please check for broken packages with synaptic, check the file permissions and correctness of the file '/etc/apt/sources.list' and reload the software information with: 'sudo apt-get update' and 'sudo apt-get install -f'.

Can anybody tell me how ??
Please walk me thru.

You already ran the command

sudo apt-get install -f ??

BrandNewSandy
October 22nd, 2008, 04:07 PM
I have no idea how.
Can you help:( a dum?

BrandNewSandy
October 22nd, 2008, 04:11 PM
I wanted to install VLC.
I have no idea how to follow the error message, can ou hel?

redseventyseven
October 22nd, 2008, 04:34 PM
OK, let's go through this step by step.

Please check for broken packages with synaptic

Close the "add/remove programs" dialog first, then run the program "Synaptic Package Manager". It does the same sort of job as "Add/Remove Programs" except the programs aren't presented in neat little bundles like in "Add/Remove Programs". Under the "Edit" menu there should be an option to "Fix Broken Packages".

check the file permissions and correctness of the file '/etc/apt/sources.list'

Open up the file manager and navigate to the folder "/etc/apt" (You may need to click on "File System" in the left-hand pane to get there). Right-click on the file "sources.list" and select "Properties". A dialog box showing the properties of the file should appear. There should be a tab called "Permissions", click this and ensure that the Owner is root and has "Read and write" priveleges.

As for checking the correctness of the file, double click the file to open it in the Text Editor. Each line of the file should either begin with a "#" character (in which case the line is ignored by the program) or look something like:

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security main restricted universe multiverse

Don't worry too much about this step if it's too confusing, it's unlikely that this is the cause of the problem.

Finally...

reload the software information with: 'sudo apt-get update' and 'sudo apt-get install -f'

OK, before doing this, ensure that Synaptic and Add/remove programs are not open.

For this step you'll need to open up the terminal. Don't worry, it's not as scary as you might imagine!

Type in the following commands:

sudo apt-get update
and

sudo apt-get install -f

You may be prompted to enter your password. Don't worry that it doesn't show up when you type your password - this is normal, just type it anyway.

If you get any error messages from any of this lot, or something looks wrong, then post the results to this thread!

Good luck!