PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] [SOLVED] Help! Everything has become extra-large-looking

Chris Edgell
October 22nd, 2008, 01:47 AM
What have I done now? In clicking around trying to learn how to install my printer, I have somehow locked my resolution at 640x480@86. When I go into the xfce Setting Manager>Preferences, there is a slide adjustment bar but there is no change, when I click on default a really-big picture takes the screen and a dialog box informs me that I have 15 seconds to decide if I want to keep it the way I'm seeing it. I click "No" and the screen goes black then comes back at me in the 640x480 resolution. The only other thing I see that seems new to me is an icon for Qt Configuration. Nothing there seems to effect the resolution. Now, even though the desktop has been scaled down because I was able to adjust the size of the icons, but all other is that large resolution, even Yahoo "complained" to me about it. I do need help one more time.
Thanks

damispyderbyte
October 22nd, 2008, 01:48 AM
Is it resolution? lol

MaxIBoy
October 22nd, 2008, 01:49 AM
Has your screen resolution changed?

EDIT: Dang, someone beat me to it.

Chris Edgell
October 22nd, 2008, 01:59 AM
I'm sorry to say, I don't exactly know what the screen resolution is. But, like this box I'm typing in is exactly 10 inches long. Even the type style is like mod, flip...

Chris Edgell
October 22nd, 2008, 02:09 AM
Oh, yeah, I do remember now falling into a plug and play screen, what did I do there?
I must admit I think I did something. I know, I shouldn't do anything when I have no idea what I'm doing....
(Previously, I had missed the response with the lol in it

Chris Edgell
October 22nd, 2008, 02:27 AM
Oh yes the resolution...it's like 200%
I'm sorry if I am seeming so childish in this forum! Will I be getting in trouble, I mean, am I doing a lot of dont's?

Chris Edgell
October 22nd, 2008, 01:47 PM
I know I was sounding a little punchy but I had just spent 10 hours or so trying to get my new printer up and running. I got a little carried away and some how clicked or changed something and now my screen resolution looks like about 200%. What have I done? Please help.

fooman
October 22nd, 2008, 01:50 PM
try changing it in "screen resolution"?

go to system > preferences > screen resolution

not sure what monitor or video card your using so i can't say what to change it to...but you should find some setting there that will work.

linux6994
October 22nd, 2008, 01:52 PM
Not bad, its a new feature for the older users . . . you need a longer mouse and keyboard cord and sit further away.

Chris Edgell
October 22nd, 2008, 02:09 PM
and put it on my TV screen

Chris Edgell
October 22nd, 2008, 03:21 PM
Well I did go to settings and minimized the size of my icons and panels; now I can see from the "Search" heading of the drop down menu to "Show all my threads" without fishing for slivers. But all the picture apart from my desktop and toolbars on top here is very big...as I said this box that I'm typing into is 10 inches long.

Chris Edgell
October 23rd, 2008, 02:40 AM
What have I done now? In clicking around trying to learn how to install my printer, I have somehow locked my resolution at 640x480@86. When I go into the xfce Setting Manager>Preferences, there is a slide adjustment bar but there is no change, when I click on default a really-big picture takes the screen and a dialog box informs me that I have 15 seconds to decide if I want to keep it the way I'm seeing it. I click "No" and the screen goes black then comes back at me in the 640x480 resolution. The only other thing I see that seems new to me is an icon for Qt Configuration. Nothing there seems to effect the resolution. Now, even though the desktop has been scaled down because I was able to adjust the size of the icons, but all other is that large resolution, even Yahoo "complained" to me about it. I do need help one more time.
Thanks

I just had to bring you up to date so that I can get a solution-it's an awful situation I'm in here.

Chris Edgell
October 28th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I just had to tell you that, oddly enough, I stumbled upon something in two totally unrelated places, something that solved my problem--it seems to meet my need.

I'm simply pressing Ctrl and plus or minus, hey but in my case, mostly minus, until I get the screen looking the way I like it. This holds when I go back and forth. When I come to a screen stuck in the old hugely maximized, I apply this and then that page stays also.

Just wanted to let you know.