PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should I download amd64 iso files for 64 bit intel CPU?

legolas_w
October 21st, 2008, 11:24 PM
Hi
I have a core2due CPU which as far as I know uses 64 bits technology, but it is Intel and all 64 bit installation iso of Ubuntu are named amd64, does it works for Intel 64 bits too?

Thanks

phidia
October 21st, 2008, 11:26 PM
Yes that iso works for both amd & intel. Be sure to check the md5sum after the download is complete.
From the download page here (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download):
64bit AMD and Intel computers

simtaalo
October 21st, 2008, 11:27 PM
yes you should download the 64-bit version :)

shifty_powers
October 21st, 2008, 11:46 PM
nothing stopping you, but unless you doing some video encoding or some such, i question the advantage over 32-bit, which is still a bit better to work with in terms of drivers etc...

dcstar
October 22nd, 2008, 01:13 AM
nothing stopping you, but unless you doing some video encoding or some such, i question the advantage over 32-bit, which is still a bit better to work with in terms of drivers etc...

Out of date notions about 64 bit "drivers" have little relevance these days.

64 bit supports just about everything now in hardware and software - although there are still a few 3rd party proprietary apps that plain refuse to make a 64 bit version.

The 64 bit forum has info on any current issues:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=343

wolfen69
October 22nd, 2008, 01:20 AM
Out of date notions about 64 bit "drivers" have little relevance these days.

while this may be true, the average joe is still probably better off with 32bit OS. i've used 64bit before and didn't notice any advantage. just my opinion though.

dfreer
October 22nd, 2008, 01:25 AM
while this may be true, the average joe is still probably better off with 32bit OS. i've used 64bit before and didn't notice any advantage. just my opinion though.

Did you notice any disadvantages, then? Why not use 64-bit :/

wolfen69
October 22nd, 2008, 01:54 AM
Did you notice any disadvantages, then? Why not use 64-bit :/

actually, i did notice a disadvantage. i could not get a couple of apps to install correctly. it is a well known fact that 32bit os is better supported than 64. maybe not by much anymore, but still.

in the end, it is up to the individual. use what you like.

phidia
October 22nd, 2008, 05:03 PM
I don't think with the correct use of ia32libs and perhaps getlibs there are any applications that won't work with 64 bit.

If there are though then letting the dev(s) of that application know would be much more productive than continuing the myths about 64 bit.

I am not that much of a geek and I've been using 64 bit for more than 2 years now. It works, it's faster to start up with and in use with heavy graphics work or games and I prefer it!

The reason I'm saying this is that everyone will be moving to 64 bit anyway so linux/Ubuntu could take advantage of that rather than dragging it's feet.

Thelasko
October 22nd, 2008, 07:47 PM
I don't think with the correct use of ia32libs and perhaps getlibs there are any applications that won't work with 64 bit.
What about printer drivers?

phidia
October 22nd, 2008, 09:25 PM
What about printer drivers?

If the printer is supported (check printers here (http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi))I don't think there are any problems getting printers working in 64 bit linux.

Feel free to correct me with specific examples though.

I'm not looking to reopen the debate on 64 vs 32 there's been plenty of that here and like politics each camp has it's supporters but eventually (32 bit hardware isn't even sold by most retailers)
64 bit will be the way.