PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ARGH what have I done!?

Accordionista
October 21st, 2008, 07:49 PM
Ok so the top task bar kept popping up telling me my printer wasnt plugged in (which it wasnt) but the little printer icon was still there so after a few days of this i thought hm I'll just right click the little printer and said remove from panel and it went away.

Now though, nothing will sit up there. If i click to close amsn it would usually close to the task bar, now it just sits on the bottom bar. If I click to close Deluge it would normally run on the top panel, now it just shuts completely and wont open again.

I keep getting mysterious printer messages coming from the top left of the screen, and when I've plugged in my printer again it has little notices about it up there but no more printer icon.

Help! How do I undo what I did and get my lovely icons back again! :(

PS the help topic of the task bar wasnt helpful. I right click the bar to 'add applications' to it but it just has weird applications not the things I actually want up there.

PPS ok fixed. If anyone needs to know for future reference, right click then go to add applications, then add the 'notification bar'

cek
October 21st, 2008, 09:47 PM
Ok so the top task bar kept popping up telling me my printer wasnt plugged in (which it wasnt) but the little printer icon was still there so after a few days of this i thought hm I'll just right click the little printer and said remove from panel and it went away.

Now though, nothing will sit up there. If i click to close amsn it would usually close to the task bar, now it just sits on the bottom bar. If I click to close Deluge it would normally run on the top panel, now it just shuts completely and wont open again.

I keep getting mysterious printer messages coming from the top left of the screen, and when I've plugged in my printer again it has little notices about it up there but no more printer icon.

Help! How do I undo what I did and get my lovely icons back again! :(

PS the help topic of the task bar wasnt helpful. I right click the bar to 'add applications' to it but it just has weird applications not the things I actually want up there.

PPS ok fixed. If anyone needs to know for future reference, right click then go to add applications, then add the 'notification bar'

You could have accidentally right clicked on the system tray itself and removed it. Right click on the top panel and select "add to panel" look for the system tray/notification applet.

stephanvaningen
October 21st, 2008, 10:13 PM
Thanks, I was wondering about that too :-)
Now also the network manager doesn't show up in the notification area of mine: any idea why that is?