PDA

View Full Version : VLC as front-end player?

wilberfan
October 20th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I'm curious to see how well VLC would work as the front-end player. Sometimes I have audio-sync issues with the default mplayer.

Someone said I could use xine--which worked pretty well--but all of my downloaded .avi files start with zero volume. PIA.

VLC has a rather intimidating collection of options (!)--I'd appreciate it if anyone could share which ones I should use in my myth front-end?

BTW, Mythbuntu is seriously awesome!

newlinux
October 20th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I assume you are talking for mythvideo. You could also look into using the internal player (just put "Internal" as the player) - that would give you a consistent interface with recordings as well allow you to adjust the audio sync on the fly.

wilberfan
October 21st, 2008, 05:35 AM
as well allow you to adjust the audio sync on the fly.

That WOULD be one solution. I've never seen a way to adjust the audio sync on the fly...how is that done? :confused:

[edit] Never mind....just found it! Pressed the "i" button on my Hauupauge remote, scrolled down a bit...there it was!

Appreciate the tip! :)

Archmage
October 21st, 2008, 09:14 AM
In case someone is wondering + and - on the keypad will help you to adjust the sound delay, if it is out of sync.

4dognight
October 21st, 2008, 02:02 PM
I assume you are talking for mythvideo. You could also look into using the internal player (just put "Internal" as the player) - that would give you a consistent interface with recordings as well allow you to adjust the audio sync on the fly.

I never had any luck with the internal player. The video is always choppy. I wanted to use VLC but couldnt get the audio to go through SPDIF, even after checking it in the menu. I switched to XINE and it works fine.