PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why won't a script file run?

bdemers
October 19th, 2008, 08:19 PM
How do I go about determining why a script won't run? I posted a question earlier about how to figure out why a link doesn't work. Both are in the same directory. I haven't an answer to the link issue yet, maybe this will help some?

The Cog
October 19th, 2008, 09:05 PM
"doesn't work" leaves a world of possibilities. How are you trying to run it, and what error message do you get?

Check that it is executable - look at the permissions.

bdemers
October 19th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Well, absolutely nothing happens. No messages, no smoke, no catcalls, nutt'n. So question is what's it's supposed to do? Frankly I don't know for sure. The purpose of the file is to allow me to generate an electronic symbol for use in a program called gschem. Gschem is a schematic drawing program. It is part of a suite called gEDA. tragesym is the script file (from above)name and it is a python file, I believe. The tragesym how-to page tells me to run the file. It is an exe, so I double click and, well, loop to top of this paragraph.

BDNiner
October 19th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Can you post the commands you are typing and the errors you are getting. the instructions on: http://www.geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:tragesym_tutorial seem pretty straight forward.

It is not an exe file so double clicking on it is not going to do anything. you need to execute the file from a terminal window according to the instructions on their page.

TideMan
October 19th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Perhaps only rank novices like myself would think to suggest the following, because only a novice would make such a mistake:

I had the same problem the other day with fdisk

fdisk -l
gave me nothing at all. What I found I needed to do was:

sudo fdisk -l