PDA

View Full Version : Sketching Houses With Measurements/CAD

Ozonetaco
October 16th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Hello,

I am looking for a program that might be able to sketch a house from a bird's eye view. I don't want anything complex but just the basic walls, maybe a porch. I am doing the research because I am working with a company that wants to go to a Linux network and this is one of the only things we need to be able to do before we can decide to go that direction. We are currently using Apex and Rapid Sketch (sketching software for windows) I posted a question similar to this in the General Help and wasn't sure which section it should be in. I am totally new so let me know if i need to delete one of them. Thank you all for your help in advance and i hope you have a great day.

thaltek
October 20th, 2008, 03:12 PM
whew.. i am going through a comparable situation.... except i am just looking for something for personal use....

Misfit Model 3d seems ok...
~intuitive (not too hard to learn)
~simple objects....

really the only downside is that the program can only use "triangular geometry" ie(pyramid, cube, ect....) if you want something like a shpere or anything with a curve prepare to spend some time working on it... other wise Misfit Model 3d is the best i have found... >_>

i still seek a linux form of cad that can handle solid modeling like ironcad....

if worse comes to worse i may <_< have to hack ironcad and rewrite it for ubuntu. >_< but first i will need to know more about programing....

Ozonetaco
October 21st, 2008, 12:19 AM
Thank you for the response. I appreciate your help! Unfortunately that looks a little over kill for what I am looking for.

This is an image (the attachment) of a finished sketch of a 2d outline of a home. This is more of what we are looking to replace.

{kind of new to forums so let me know if you can't see that attachment}

thomas228
October 21st, 2008, 01:36 AM
You might consider OpenOffice Draw (either the installed 2.4 or the latest 3.0) There are a few threads on this forum for installing ver 3.
Just a thought
Good luck
Tom

By the way you can download a windows version as well and the output files can be worked in either windows or linux.

Peter76
October 21st, 2008, 11:15 AM
For what you want to do there is qcad; it's in the repos

Ozonetaco
October 23rd, 2008, 06:17 PM
QCAD looks like some of the functions work, but it doesn't look extremely professional. Is there possibly something with a nicer appearance? If this was for internal use only I would utilize QCAD for sure but we have large clients that are getting these drawings. It may turn out that we have to stick with what we have but I definitely wanted to check into other options. Particularly with the Ubuntu OS.

Thanks for the QCAD recommendation! If there is anything else that anyone may recommend that may have a nicer end product as far as the sketch goes, please let me know. Thank you all again.

oldsoundguy
October 23rd, 2008, 06:31 PM
An FYI .. at present there is nothing that even approaches Auto-Cad in Linux ...... YET! There has to be a real demand in order for the developers to spend a lot of time on such.

They are just now realizing that photographers NEED some killer aps in order to switch over to Linux and the programs in that field are improving vastly over the last couple of years.

And they are begining to out Mac the Mac for the musicians out there!

What a lot do not seem to realize, that up until Ubuntu and their slant on what Linux should be, Linux was a system that was more geek than user slanted. Well and good, but the light was hidden under that basket of geekdom for way too long. Inroads are just NOW being made into the general usage and office people.

And as soon as that "geeks only" image of Linux is overcome and some aps written to cover those killer aps that are Windows only right now, you will see more people using the system. (and yes, that DOES include gamers, too!)

thomas228
October 23rd, 2008, 11:39 PM
Ther are not too many linux programs out there yet but these links may help in your search
http://www.freecad.com/
Select cad programs (xNIX) and finally thru downloads
http://www.cad-schroer.com/index.php?land=com&ziel=Products-MEDUSA-M4Personal&scr=1.1

I used to use Autocad but ended up using A9cad in windows -went to http://www.a9tech.com/download/ but they don't have a linux version.
By googling "linux cad free" gave some 411,000 results with some interesting potentials on the first page:lolflag:
Try http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-228890.html
Hope this helps some
Tom

Peter76
October 24th, 2008, 09:40 AM
QCAD looks like some of the functions work, but it doesn't look extremely professional. Is there possibly something with a nicer appearance?

Do you mean the appearance of the drawings made or the program itself?

Ozonetaco
October 24th, 2008, 04:44 PM

I was reffering to the sketch itself. The program we can work with or around, no problem. The sketches themselves must look good tho.

hardyn
October 24th, 2008, 04:52 PM
a reasonable 2d/3d cad package is really something that is missing from the FOSS lineup.

Qcad will hook lines together, its not really much of a design tool. Autocad 14 (circa 1990) will run under wine... does autodesk consider this to be abandonware? i don't know.

there are a few 3d packages, but none are free. I *think* that PTC still offers pro engineeer in *nix. and dassault still offers catia in linux, but this is not a cheap package.

even for windows, there isn't much in the way of free cad, i guess why there is so much CAD piracy. Alebre offers a free 3D mechanical modeler, and is limited in paper output only, so is actully a pretty useful design tool (unless you want to get something made) but with a purchase price under 1000$ it is actully a fairly viable option. it is for windows only, and does not offer the functionaly of Solidworks or Inventor, but also is 1/4 the cost.

Peter76
October 24th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Bricscad also has a Linux version, though outdated. The y are planning a new Linux version. but that will probably take another year. Although commercial, Bricscad looks like a capable app. See www.bricscad.com

tgalati4
October 24th, 2008, 09:06 PM
On the mac: omnigraffle
Web-based: google sketchup
Has anyone gotten visio to run under wine?

Ozonetaco
October 25th, 2008, 01:46 AM

On the mac: omnigraffle
Web-based: google sketchup
Has anyone gotten visio to run under wine?

Thanks for the recommendation. Checking out Google sketchup right now. This looks fairly promising. I don't know if I can pull the dimensions figures from a diagram when I save or export a file. Would you know if this integrates with the web? (like a Firefox browser? or is that a question for a different forum?) Thanks for the help! This looks like it actually may work out. Still have to check some features and functionality, but it just might work. :)

patrickballeux
October 25th, 2008, 01:59 AM
What about "dia"...

Simple, effective and almost like "Visio".

Also, I was able to run the Punch Softwares under wine to make houlse plan in 3d... You need a good graphic card but it works quite well.

nikkkko
November 4th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I use both QCad and Sketchup. QCad is professional in the sense that you can produce very precise 2D drawings, (I'm working to 0.00mm), but the interface lacks and it is a dog to produce nice, printed images. At least that's my opinion.

I started using Sketchup about a month ago - I have it working virtually perfectly under Wine - and in terms of precision, I find it a little frustrating for what I'm doing. However, for interface, ease of use, printing, showing dimensions and so on, it's great. From what I understand of what you want to do, it will more than suffice.