PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] no isight after update to hardy

franki.macha
October 16th, 2008, 01:41 PM
there were a lot of updates to hardy yesterday, one of which stopped my isight camera on my santa rosa 3.1 macbook from working.
i tried reinstalling the firmware and i got the message:

** Message: Firmware extracted successfully in /lib/firmware/isight.fw
** Message: Apply patch 0 : Fix video control interface descriptor
** Message: Apply patch 1 : Fix video streaming interface descriptor
** Message: Apply patch 2 : Fix video streaming device qualifier

but still no camera, any suggestions, or should i file a bug report?

eaidoido
October 16th, 2008, 02:33 PM
what application(s) are you using to access the camera?

franki.macha
October 16th, 2008, 03:11 PM
i've tried cheese and skype, cheese gives me blocky colours and static, skype just doesn't recognise that there's anything there..

if i open cheese in the terminal i get this output:

gsttypefindelement.c(742): gst_type_find_element_activate (): /play/decodebin0/typefind:
Can't typefind empty stream

gsttypefindelement.c(757): gst_type_find_element_activate (): /play/decodebin0/typefind

totem-video-thumbnailer couldn't open file 'file:///home/franki/.gnome2/cheese/media/0003.ogg'
Reason: Stream contains no data..

** (cheese:10826): WARNING **: could not load /home/franki/.gnome2/cheese/media/0003.ogg (application/ogg)

if that's any use...

cyberdork33
October 16th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Try completely shutting down the computer and starting from a cold boot. If it still does not work, please post your dmesg output. You can pipe this to a file like so:

dmesg > dmesg_output.txt

then you can simply attach the file to your post.

franki.macha
October 17th, 2008, 03:31 PM
erm, that worked :)

i feel very silly now, i mean, i did of course restart after installing, but apparently shutting down was necessary...

well, thanks anyway, i'll try not to waste everyone's time in future :|

cyberdork33
October 17th, 2008, 03:55 PM
erm, that worked :)

i feel very silly now, i mean, i did of course restart after installing, but apparently shutting down was necessary...
It's OK, it is the first thing we usually check because it is simple and very easily overlooked... The hardware has to reset, and it doesn't reset on a reboot, only when you completely shutdown...

P.S. Please mark this thread as solved from the thread tools menu at the top of the page.