PDA

View Full Version : UVD Is Enabled For Linux In Catalyst 8.10

DutchLoki
October 16th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Couldn't resist to try the new driver in MythTV using a 780g board and different kinds of wrappers and players... no acceleration but some 3d improvements (it didn't get worse under MythTV). Thinking about it CyberLink released a HD Video Player for linux a few days ago, its proprietary could it be? ;)

Anyone more luck with this?

Cheers.

ian dobson
October 16th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Hi,

It won't bring much for us (MythTV) until myth is modified to support/use the new libs.

Regards
Ian Dobson

DutchLoki
October 16th, 2008, 02:17 PM
well the new driver has references to xvmc, so there should be benefits for us in there.

ian dobson
October 16th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Hi,

Yep your right there appears to be XvMC support in the driver, so that'll help with MPEG2 decoding.

Regards
Ian Dobson

laga
October 16th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Dutchloki,

how well does that 780G board work with Linux and MythTV? I'm wondering if I should get one..

DutchLoki
October 16th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Hi Laga,

The 780g mobo did work from the first time i've installed it. Only i'm hearing and reading very different stories from others.

I've stepped in with the 8.5 driver which does the job for me, but 8.4, 8.6, ..., 8.9 seems to give problems to a lot of people on linux. Haven't really had the change to do extensive testing on the 780 board with the 8.10 driver because i've given this board to my parents and only visited them shortly... still have to buy one for myself again.

so I would recommend some reading before buying it. Maybe wait for the official 8.10 driver and see how it goes? (the current one seems to be a beta).