PDA

View Full Version : New to Ubuntu

gutomnagutom
October 14th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I have a spare desktop sitting at home. It's a little old and I don't know if ubuntu will work on it.

Here are some of the specs if it will help

CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4, 1.8
Motherboard Name: MSI 645E Combo (MS-6737E)
Motherboard Chipset: SiS 645
System Memory: 512mb (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type: AMI
Video Adapter: NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 (32mb)

and I'm also using an EDIMAX 7318Ug Usb Wifi Adapter (RT73 USB Wireless Lan Card)

Thank you! :)

overdrank
October 14th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Hi and welcome, best to try the live cd and this will give you most of the answer if it will work.

Thread moved to ABT :)

bumanie
October 14th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Ubuntu should work fine on those specs, but do not expect fancy desktop effects with that video card - other than that it should work well.

anaconda
October 14th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Ubuntu will work well with that machine..

it is almost the same than I have..

my specks..:
P4 2,6GHz
512MB ram (has been enough)
but I do have a better video card..

Edit: Dont know if your wifi adapter will work.. Probably it is possible to get working, but it might need some tweaking..

gutomnagutom
October 14th, 2008, 12:05 PM
@anaconda

Thanks!

I guess I'll try ask and search more if my wifi adapter will work on ubuntu because I don't want to drag my pc all the way downstairs just to attach the ethernet cable. . .^^

gutomnagutom
October 14th, 2008, 12:06 PM
@bumanie

Thanks! I'm alright with having ubuntu without compiz effects :)

philinux
October 14th, 2008, 12:08 PM
@anaconda

Thanks!

I guess I'll try ask and search more if my wifi adapter will work on ubuntu because I don't want to drag my pc all the way downstairs just to attach the ethernet cable. . .^^

In that case get the livecd and see if it works. It's best to have the machine connected to the net when installing.

hyper_ch
October 14th, 2008, 03:10 PM
It is adviced to use a descriptive topic title, that means a topic title that gives some clue about the content in the thread itself...

A generic topic title like "noob here" or "need help" does not help at all. As you may have noticed, just about everyone posting in here has some kind of a problem or issue or question ;)

And it is also adviced to use seperate threads for unrelated problems so that you can mark each one individually as solved.

Or in short terms: Help others to help you ;)

gutomnagutom
October 14th, 2008, 03:23 PM
@hyper_ch

oh. i'm sorry. just new to the forums. :) pardon for the lack of knowledge. thanks! :) will do on my future posts :)