PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where's the sound?

donaldshelton
October 13th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I can honestly say that this has been an adventure. Thanks to many people I finally got the wireless card to work, and now I can "surf" anywhere in the house.

1. I do have one question, though. I was able to download the flash needed to view the videos on Youtube, but the sound doesn't seem to work.

I have the volume set on max, and the volume on the videos is set on max. When I test the hardware, I hear sound from the speakers.

What am I missing? How do I get the item(s) I am missing?

2. I also put the download plugin on Firefox which allows me to download the videos on the .flv format. What do I need to view these videos offline? I downloaded RealPlayer and installed it, but it says it cannot play this type of media.

Thanks to all who are willing to assist newbies like me. You are awesome!!

Don

FreewheelinFrank
October 13th, 2008, 05:32 PM
You may need to close any other program that plays sound before you'll get sound in Firefox/Flash: Hardy Heron doesn't seem to play sound from multiple sources. With Gutsy I could hear sound from Amarok, Exaile etc and sound from YouTube vids (clashing of course before I paused music playback), but now I have to close the music player before I can hear sound from Flash. Close as in Quit not just pause.

kansasnoob
October 13th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Following this guide solved all of my pulse audio problems:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5587712&postcount=472

Also I always install gnome-alsamixer from synaptic. It'll then show up in Sound & Video - lots of toggles! Generally the first three and the last four are the ones that I tweak the most.

donaldshelton
October 13th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Following this guide solved all of my pulse audio problems:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5587712&postcount=472

Also I always install gnome-alsamixer from synaptic. It'll then show up in Sound & Video - lots of toggles! Generally the first three and the last four are the ones that I tweak the most.

I did all this, but, alas, still no sound.

I'd very much like to hear my vids on youtube (my channel is dshelton47, if you'd like to hear them too!)

Any other assistance is very much appreciated!!!!!

Don