PDA

View Full Version : [other] Of SoulSeek and New Servers: How are you coping?

manimal347
October 13th, 2008, 01:20 AM
To preface, I'm an Arch user, but I'm coming here to tap the immense Ubuntu userbase. I used to be a SoulSeek fan, stopped using it for a while, and came back to discover that there was a new protocol, which isn't even publically documented, and Nicotine+ doesn't talk on it. That'd be fine except for that most people have moved over... and those that haven't will do so soon, either to be with their friends, or because the 156c server is shut off. <Insert expletive>

So, I tried running 157 in WineDB, even though I read it wouldn't work. Indeed, it crashed immediately. All Linux/Unix clients seem dormant, too; Nicotine+ was last updated a year ago, and Daelstorm's MIA. Are we as a community just left with NO options but running windows in a virtual machine?

Has anyone found a solution to this? Do other people feel disrespected?

Bakon Jarser
October 13th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Man, I thought I just wasn't getting many hits on searches because I listen to non-mainstream music. I guess I'll have to look into this. I wasn't even aware there was a problem.

:mad:

Edit: It looks like Daelstorm is the only maintainer and hasn't touched it in 5 months and hasn't done any real work on it in over a year.

Interpreter
October 14th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Uhm, what exact problems are you dealing with?
You could just tell nicotine to connect to the new server, right?

If not, why not, or ...did I miss something?

Bakon Jarser
October 14th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Yeah, I figured this out and forgot to post a reply. It's under options. The new server is the one on port 2242.

Interpreter
October 15th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Yeah, I figured this out and forgot to post a reply. It's under options. The new server is the one on port 2242.

Good to finally know that someone else is also using that port now.