PDA

View Full Version : PVR-500 Occasional no sound no video on Tuner0

mjsameth
October 12th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Thanks for taking the time to read this post. This is a little bizarre - but curious if anybody has any recommendations.

I have a working mythbuntu installation AMD64 Athalon, PVR-500, HDHomeRun.

The only things that have changed before my problem arose was the fact that yesterday I did a sudo apt-get update & sudo apt-get upgrade. Juse a couple of packages installed.

Problem:

On boot-up both tuners are working fine. No problems. However, when running rhythmbox or firefox on the desktop or inside a ssh session - I find that one of my tuner inputs will not display audio or video. I simply switch inputs to other tuner and everything is fine. However, I am now limited to one working tuner. A reboot will always clear the problem. Both tuners will work. But it is highly repeatable. Running audio in firefox or for that matter any other non-myth application causes one of the tuners not to display sound and audio.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

ian dobson
October 12th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Hi,

Do you see anything in syslog when you lose sound?
What happens when you lose sound, then unload the ivtv drivers then reload them again?
What motherboard/chipset do you have? There were some DMA problems with VIA chipsets.

I'm running a PVR-500 in my MythTV backend and haven't seen any problems.

Regards
Ian Dobson

mjsameth
October 12th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks for reply. I checked the syslog at the times that I ran the applications and their doesn't seem to be anything related to the pvr500 or anything else for that matter related to the problem I have described.

I currently have an asus m2n-sli motherboard. Could you provide the commands for loading and unloading ivtv drivers. Little unsure about syntax. Don't want to make my media center unusable.

ian dobson
October 12th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Hi,

Use rmmod to remove loaded modules (rmmod ivtv).
Use insmod to insert modules (insmod ivtv).

Regards
Ian Dobson

mjsameth
October 12th, 2008, 08:11 PM
No change and unless I'm really stupid - following those commands caused me to have to reinstall ivtv from source... once removed - I couldnt insmod ivtv - I'm back up and running - but still have this oddity - not sure what else to do....

ian dobson
October 12th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Hi,

Humm thats strange, maybe you can use modprobe. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modprobe

On my box I increased the mpgbuffers by creating a file (/etc/modprobe.d/ivtv.conf) with the following line:-
options ivtv enc_mpg_buffers=9 ivtv_yuv_mode=2

To help with buffer overruns when recording 2 programs at the same time with a "high" quality.

Regards
Ian Dobson