PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] absolute beginner

kiereann
October 11th, 2008, 09:48 PM
seriously... like today. I have now dedicated a computer to linux and opted for Ubuntu as it seems the most "user friendly". Hope you can help with what must seem to be a ludicrously stupid question.

I haven't got a clue how to install drivers for an old ragepro AGP card that I have put into my little shuttle gem (so that i can enable the groovy effects). Maybe an admin could rewrite this post and make it a sticky... anyway the formal question is:

How do I force ubuntu OS to install a driver for a newly added piece of hardware? In my case, a ragepro AGP graphics card.

Please note - I am SERIOUSLY novice... the CD installation was easy and the machine is now up and running beautifully... but I am used to running executables and now I don't know what I'm doing.

Your help in this matter would be appreciated. I'll check back to see what response is forthcoming.

linux_lover69
October 11th, 2008, 09:56 PM
just go into system administration then hardware drivers and there should be an option for your graphics card. just click enable let the drivers install then restart your computer and that should be it.

cariboo
October 11th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I hate to says this, but your ragepro video card is not supported with the newer drivers, so you will not be able to use any of the:

groovy effects

You will have to upgrade to a considerable newer graphics card.

Jim

linux_lover69
October 11th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I hate to says this, but your ragepro video card is not supported with the newer drivers, so you will not be able to use any of the:

You will have to upgrade to a considerable newer graphics card.

Jim
Yeah he's right I just looked it up.

kiereann
October 13th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Many thanks for the replies ... I have already tried the "hardware" update route but all I get is, "there are no proprietary drivers installed".

Reading the rest of the posts I understand now that I might as well pull the card and let the onboard chip take over again.

Thanks again everyone.:popcorn: