PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Dish Network subscribers....

kameleon25
October 10th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I need some guidance. I just took the plunge and got Dish installed today. My issue is that I have the 2 Dish 500 roof ornaments (one for SD only and the other is HD only since I got the TurboHD) but was told to add any more receivers beyond the 2 I have now I would have to throw another dish up on the roof. That would be a no go on the WAF. I do however want 2 if not 4 receivers to hook into my mythbuntu box on my 2 PVR-500's via composite. I do not care about the HD stuff just like to keep my favorite shows in digital format so I can watch while away from home.

Anyways, The installer said I would need something like a DP34 switch which I looked and can get on ebay for about $30 or so. I am not sure how to do this but I do know I really don't want to put another dish on the roof if at all possible. Any ideas/experiences?

anonymousdog
October 10th, 2008, 10:29 PM
It's been about 3 yrs we've had Dish with one dual-LNB antenna and two SD dual-output receivers, 322s, hooked to the four outputs from a DP34. Works great for four SD TVs, but the second output from each of the 322s can only be controlled with the RF remotes (so no IR channel changing). The second TV output on each receiver is run over RG58(?) coax to the TV location that can be as distant from the receiver as you like (within the limits of coax's and RF's ability to carry the signals). The second TV output also has RCA outs for video and stereo audio. All the initial wiring (not involving the MythTV system) was done by the installer; I'm surprised to learn that they didn't offer you a similar option.

I have no experience with their HD offerings, but it looks like the LNBs are already capable.

kameleon25
October 10th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I might have not clarified my situation. What I want to do is add an additional 4 receivers (strictly for mythtv box) without, hopefully, adding another dish. I can get just about all I need on ebay weather it be the 311 receivers, switches, or (hopefully not needed) dish and LNB's. I would use the 311 receivers due to the need to output over the composite rather than worry about the coax output and RF controls of the second tuner of the 322.

My plan was to use the primary output of the 322 we got to go on the mythtv box and then run the "TV 2" output back to our bedroom with the RF remote. But I ended up putting the 322 in the bedroom with nothing on the mythtv box and the 722 strictly on the HD TV in the living room.

Basically I was wondering how others have setup the multiple Dish receivers with or without extra dishes to be used on mythtv when they already have their current setups maxed out with the 2 dual tuner receivers.

I hope that makes sense. Thanks!

anonymousdog
October 10th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Well, you can cascade those switches three deep (according to documentation) to get the number of outputs you need for additional receivers. However, I think you'll pay Dish $5/mo. for each of your additional receivers.