PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] issue with old bios

bachurch
October 10th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Hi,
i am trying to install ubuntu-8.04.1-server-i386.iso onto an old dell P2 400 Mhz machine. When the cd spins up I get:

[0.000000] acpi: bios age (1999)fails cutoff (2000)
acpi force is required to enable acpi

After a minute i get an error 16 and then the cd boots.
I run through the setup until it gets to the HD detect and it cannot find the HD. I have tried multiple drives including a winME that was in the machine and works.

Do I have to update the bios or can I work around it?

I'm a newbie but I'm trying.

Thanks

cariboo
October 10th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I've install the server and several other distributions on older computers. Usually when the computer can't detect the hard drive it is either due to a cable or jumper problem. Make sure the drive is detected in the bios. Most bios of that age will autodetect the hard drive.

Just as an example I currently have Ubuntu server installed on a 400Mhz eMachine, Dragonfly BSD on a Compaq 350Mhz and DSL on an AST P75.

Jim

bachurch
October 11th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Thanks Jim,
The bios does see the drive (the several I have tried).
Is the error #16 significant?

I agree with the jumper/cable issues. I've see plenty of those.

Brian

louieb
October 11th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Hi, I get:
[0.000000] acpi: bios age (1999)fails cutoff (2000)
acpi force is required to enable acpi

whitebox P2-400, 384MB ram. (built in 1997) Message is normal when Ubuntu starts up. Guess it just some type information message.

I had to flash the BIOS to get it to use a drive larger that 30GB. But for my board the newest BIOS available was dated 1999. So I still get it. Other that I have to press the power button after shutdown, to get it to turn off. Does not seem to have any other problems.

The installer not seeing the drive is odd. I guess you've already checked the jumpers and cable. Might check BIOS and see if the drive detect is set to auto and the mode is set to LBA.

Sorry but don't know if the error #16 is significant. Can't recall seeing it.

bachurch
October 12th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I solved my issue. I had the hd as master on the primary ide and the cd as master on the secondary ide. I made the cd slave on the primary and it found the hd.

Thanks for the help.

Brian