PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why two desktops?

jesuisbenjamin
October 10th, 2008, 02:05 PM
So... am trying to figure out something here.

According to my own a priori, i had found the concept of multiple desktops interesting because i thought one could open several projects on there respective desktops and order things easily.
But lo! When i activated multiple desktop, i find out that there aren't really several desktops, but a clone of the first desktop only. Which means that all document files and shortcuts for project A are on desktop A and on desktop B, and vice versa.
So what does multiple desktop do for me? If eventually all my shortcuts and icons are mixed together in one place, i am not improving anything...

Can't i have completely independent desktops? with there respective background, icons and shortcuts etc?

ToasterThief
October 10th, 2008, 02:58 PM
So... am trying to figure out something here.
Can't i have completely independent desktops? with there respective background, icons and shortcuts etc?

I'm afraid you're better off with KDE than Gnome if that's what you want. Take a look at Kubuntu.

Idefix82
October 10th, 2008, 03:04 PM
With multiple workspaces you have more space for your windows and screenlets. For example I have one workspace with all the news and info related screenlets like weather forecast, RSS feeds and so on, one workspace on which I actually work and one workspace with windows for procrastination like Ubuntu forums. This is what it looks like for me:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5910125#post5910125

However, I have to say that I don't use icons on my desktop since I find that I can access all programs much more quickly from the terminal so can't say much about your issue.

surj08
October 10th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Its more for useablitiy! its like dual monitors without the other monitor.

I like the concept of having the icons stay the same across the desktops, mainly becuase if theres an icon on my desktop it gets used alot and it really doesnt matter what desktop im on.

Plus compiz adds in some cool desktop effects for it so you really cant go wrong :p

but if multiple independent desktops is what your looking for i agree use KDE