PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Grub Questions -- adding another linux distro

cha0sthe0ry
October 9th, 2008, 10:43 PM
I currently have 4 partitions on my computer. Hda (0,0) - (0,3). On them I have:

0,0: Windows Vista
0,1: Linux Swap
0,2: Ubuntu
0,3: Slackware

Slackware is the last thing that I installed, a project to learn most basic linux commands from a professor at school. I want to continue using Ubuntu's GRUB, because if I don't like Slackware, or decide to change it out with another distro, then I can keep using the Ubuntu GRUB without any problems.

I am a newbie, and need to know how to add Slackware to the current GRUB. Thank you.

oldos2er
October 10th, 2008, 12:15 AM
You would add an entry to your /boot/grub/menu.lst that looks something like this:

title Vector Linux SOHO 5.9 (Slackware 12.0.0) (on /dev/sda7)
root (hd0,6)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.19 root=/dev/sda7
savedefault

Of course, for "title," you can put whatever you like; and you'll need to adjust the location of "root" and the kernel name and location.

cha0sthe0ry
October 10th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Thank you, I will try that just as soon as I repair my grub now, lol

WWSmith36
October 10th, 2008, 01:15 AM
There are a few different ways to boot a system with multiple linux distros. The problem with just putting a manual entry in the menu.lst is that update-grub will not automagically update the kernel entry for the other distros.

There are three ways to do this: a configfile boot entry, a chainloader boot entry, or a symlink boot entry.

The is a good description of how to do this at the Grub Page
http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm#1._Configfile