PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] any gtk based im apps that support webcam? how to install empathy?

Cew27
October 9th, 2008, 04:05 PM
hey i tried to install empathy but it says i need to install a backend for the protocall i want (msn) how would i do this?
also are there any other im apps that support webcam apart from kopete and amsn (amsn looks horrid)

simtaalo
October 9th, 2008, 04:10 PM
not sure why you dont like aMsn, looks fine to me and ive found it supports webcams the best without any need to tinker with it.

the other alternatives you have are emesene, kMess and quite a few others, just take a look through synaptics. also try the preinstalled pidgin, i personally dont get on with it, but i know many people love it. give them all a go and see what works for you.

Cew27
October 9th, 2008, 04:13 PM
i love emesene im using it now but it doesnt support webcam yet

VagabundoXXI
October 9th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Hi Cew27

To enable MSN on Empathy install telepathy-butterfly with synaptic.

Cew27
October 10th, 2008, 12:31 AM
thanks, that worked, but now how do i get webcam

jastonas
December 13th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Same here. I installed empathy, telep-gnome and telep-butterfly but i dont see anywhere my cam...

ben2talk
July 5th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Same here. I installed empathy, telep-gnome and telep-butterfly but i dont see anywhere my cam...

What's the plot?

No solution for this problem? We should all use XP if we want to chat with webcam?

Derspankster
October 7th, 2009, 04:02 PM
What's the plot?

No solution for this problem? We should all use XP if we want to chat with webcam?

Apparently yes, I've searched for some time now for a solution and have found none myself.

jastonas
October 9th, 2009, 08:37 AM
The new emesene (i think 1.5) has an alpha or beta support for webcam... not sure...