PDA

View Full Version : can i use other apps in my apps

luckydeveloper
October 9th, 2008, 12:01 PM
hi,

i have an app. in that, i want to provider a terminal inside its interface. i mean ..my app must contain a terminal/bash shell inside. can i do that.. is it possible?how do i do that...

dwhitney67
October 9th, 2008, 12:08 PM
You will need to elaborate more as to what you need. Start by listing the language you will be using.

Here's a simple bash-script (an application!), that prints "Hello World". Before printing, it also launches a gnome-terminal. So does this meet your criteria for an app within an app?

#/bin/bash

gnome-terminal &
echo Hello World
exit 0

kknd
October 9th, 2008, 01:25 PM
You can use vte (virtual terminal emulator) to embed an terminal into a GTK aplication. Geany does that!

EnGorDiaz
October 9th, 2008, 01:28 PM
hi,

i have an app. in that, i want to provider a terminal inside its interface. i mean ..my app must contain a terminal/bash shell inside. can i do that.. is it possible?how do i do that...

i really dont get you question but there are a lot of ways to do this you have to be more specific

snova
October 9th, 2008, 06:18 PM
It's possible. It really depends on how you want to go about doing it, and exactly what you want to do.

If you want to use a terminal as another widget in your GUI, it varies with the widget toolkit. KDE applications have the Konsole KPart available to them, and Gnome has something else, for example.

If you want to open a terminal and run a command in it automatically, simply run the terminal program with the proper command line arguments to run the specified program. Konsole can do it like this:

konsole -e <command>