PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ext3, NTFS or FAT32 for my data?

UnixFan11
October 9th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Hi, I have read about the partition type for the data in a dual boot system and I couldn't find anything conlusive. Most of the people recommend is to create a NTFS partition for the Windows OS and a ext3 partition for the Ubuntu OS, that sounds like a no brainer however when it comes the time for the data partition there are mixed answers.

Fact: There are drivers that allow Windows to read/write to ext3 partitions and others allow Ubuntu to read/write in NTFS.

Question 1: From a perfomance perspective what is worst, Windows working in ext3 or Ubuntu working in NTFS? Let's assume that each systems are used 50% of the time.

Question 2: Being my computer for family use, I am not conerned about file permisions and I am aware of the 4GB file size limit for the FAT32 partitions and I can live with it. From a performance perspective, would FAT32 be a better option that NTFS or ext3 in a dual boot environment?

Question 3: Finally I have another disk that I am going to format in ext3 and I expect this to be my backup disk. Is there any issue backing up my FAT32 in to an ext3 filesystem? I am planning to use Linux incremental backup, I guess that it is OK as I wouldnt have the file size limitation in my backup disk.

Thank you very much for reading my post.

Steven_S
May 8th, 2009, 09:30 AM
*bump*

Otherwise I would just have posed question 1 again :cool: