PDA

View Full Version : Epidermis 0.1 beta released!

Flimm
October 8th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Epidermis 0.1 beta has been released!

Epidermis is a program that combines wallpapers, GTK, metacity, icons, splashes, usplash, cursors, grub themes and GDM themes in one GUI program for the GNOME desktop. It is has only been tested under Ubuntu Hardy and Intrepid (alpha).

The idea is to separate each customisation into 'pigments'. For example, a wallpaper can be a pigment, and so can an icon set. Pigments are downloadable from a central repository, and can be automatically installed, similar to the way programs are distributed through a deb repository. 'Skins' are pigments that link to one pigment of every type, so you could create a skin that is dark, and ensure that every part of your desktop is customised.

At long last, I finally finished a first beta. You can do all the basics here, including installing and uninstalling pigments, browsing for new pigments online, and activating them selectively.

If you use Ubuntu Hardy Heron or Intrepid Ibex on GNOME, I'd love it if you give it a go.

If you find a problem, or you have an idea, please don't post blueprints, questions or bug reports on the Launchpad project. These shouldn't be enabled, but they are, due to a bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad-answers/+bug/210535). You can send your feedback here.

Even though I'm making a customisation program, I am not much of an artist, so I would love it if someone could create a new set of skins, I only need two or three really good ones to release 0.1 final. It'll also be an opportunity to proof-read the Make Your Own Skin (http://epidermis.tuxfamily.org/?q=node/29) documentation. The Ubuntu Studio and Mac4Lin skins I created need a lot of polishing, so you're welcome to do that.

Epidermis launchpad project (https://launchpad.net/epidermis)
Epidermis 0.1 beta release (https://launchpad.net/epidermis/testing/0.1beta)
Epidermis home page (http://epidermis.tuxfamily.org)

V for Vincent
October 8th, 2008, 02:53 PM
trying it out as I'm writing. Think you could add a button to backup current settings? that'd be nice for experimenting...

Flimm
October 8th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I've just created a script for you that will backup all the current settings. It doesn't restore the settings for you automatically though, you need to do that yourself, though it shouldn't be too hard if you know how to use gconf-editor.

Gutt
October 9th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Looks pretty good :D , will try it soon.

Pasto
October 10th, 2008, 06:37 AM
I'll take a look at the code as a process of learning python. :)

Seems like a nice language.

MadsRH
October 10th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Great work Flimm!!! \\:D/

I have not tested it yet. However I just have one small comment. It seems a little award to be scrolling across and not down the screen. Anyway it does to me ;-)

//MadsRH

Orlsend
October 13th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Awesome Work Flimm, Epidermis is one of the best projects I have seen :D

Flimm
October 23rd, 2008, 01:46 PM
I've released Epidermis 0.1 stable, now. I hope you all enjoy it.
I'll get round to including Epidermis in my PPA (personal repo) soon, for you all to enjoy. Right now you can download the deb file at launchpad's download page (https://launchpad.net/epidermis/0.x/0.1).

digitalis_vulgaris
October 23rd, 2008, 02:16 PM
Great work Flimm!!! \\:D/

I have not tested it yet. However I just have one small comment. It seems a little award to be scrolling across and not down the screen. Anyway it does to me ;-)

//MadsRH

Agree with this comment completely! This is great idea and great work indeed, but You need to list items in way to avoid horizontal scrolling for any cost. "No horizontal scrolling" is one of Commandments of good GUI. :)

ToasterThief
October 23rd, 2008, 07:10 PM
Thanks. This is just a few steps from awesome!

skintythe1andonly
October 24th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Hey looks good...not sure if im to report it here or somewhere else but is the default pigment repository down? I can only seem to download half the info. Is there another repository?

Flimm
October 24th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Hey looks good...not sure if im to report it here or somewhere else but is the default pigment repository down? I can only seem to download half the info. Is there another repository?

This is a known bug that I introduced while building .deb files. I discovered it an hour or two after I finished publishing the .deb files, so I quickly fixed it and republished fixed debs as the same version. I hoped no-one would notice, but it looks like you have. :oops:
All you have to do is reinstall Epidermis 0.1 from the download files at launchpad (https://launchpad.net/epidermis/0.x/0.1).
Or you can just run:

python /usr/share/pyshared/epidermis/epidermis.py

This is why I would welcome any testers!

oedipuss
October 24th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Oh this can give the gnome appearance utility a run for its money =D

I know it's kind of early to ask for more advanced features, but wouldn't it be nice if there was a button that collected your current desktop settings into a new skin?
Much much easier skin creation this way, as you can fix your desktop the way you like it (which is something most if not all of us do anyway), click a button and pick a name.

Also would you consider panel themes ? I mean the whole panel setup (applets, position, autohide) as stored on gconf, not just the background or a special panel.rc. It's something that's generally missing from theming, and can alter one's desktop significantly.

days_of_ruin
October 25th, 2008, 06:04 PM
oh this can give the gnome appearance utility a run for its money =d

i know it's kind of early to ask for more advanced features, but wouldn't it be nice if there was a button that collected your current desktop settings into a new skin?
Much much easier skin creation this way, as you can fix your desktop the way you like it (which is something most if not all of us do anyway), click a button and pick a name.

Also would you consider panel themes ? I mean the whole panel setup (applets, position, autohide) as stored on gconf, not just the background or a special panel.rc. It's something that's generally missing from theming, and can alter one's desktop significantly.

+1

skintythe1andonly
October 29th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Hey Im still having probelems getting this working correctly. I installed from source originally. When installing from source i usually use check install but in this case as there was no makefile just the python script i could not do that. I am having problems downloading the initial pigment file when i click on find more. I got it working on the PC in my sisters place and she thinks its good. I used the .deb file there.

I tried the .deb file on my laptop and i keep getting the following error

root@skint-laptop:/home/skint/Desktop# dpkg -i epidermis_0.1-0ubuntu0_all.deb
(Reading database ... 163458 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace epidermis 0.1-0ubuntu0 (using epidermis_0.1-0ubuntu0_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement epidermis ...
Setting up epidermis (0.1-0ubuntu0) ...
pycentral: pycentral pkginstall: not overwriting local files
pycentral pkginstall: not overwriting local files
dpkg: error processing epidermis (--install):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
epidermis

I think i will prob have to uninstall the original. Any ideas other than manually deleting every file??

morgengenuss
October 29th, 2008, 03:55 AM
with me epidermis just dies when i try to reload the repository.

from the terminal output:

$ epidermis
Epidermis, Copyright (C) 2008 David D Lowe
Epidermis comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details click on the About button, License
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; for details click on the About button, License
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/epidermis/epidermis.py:287: GtkWarning: gdk_window_set_icon_list: icons too large
self.win.show_all()
python: ../../src/xcb_lock.c:33: _XCBUnlockDisplay: Assertion `xcb_get_request_sent(dpy->xcb->connection) == dpy->request' failed.
Aborted

Orlsend
October 29th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I know Flimm in real life Ill give him a Call about this bugs, Just hold on there guys.

ad_267
October 29th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I get this trying to install the .deb package:

(Reading database ... 221392 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace epidermis 0.1-0ubuntu0 (using epidermis_0.1-0ubuntu0_all.deb) ...
Compiling /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/epidermis/epidermis.py ...
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/epidermis/epidermis.py", line 1018
class PigmentTypeData():
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Compiling /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/epidermis/pigments/pack.py ...
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/epidermis/pigments/pack.py", line 27
class Pack():
^

Compiling /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/epidermis/pigments/pigment.py ...
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/epidermis/pigments/pigment.py", line 43
class PigmentType():
^

Compiling /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/epidermis/shell.py ...
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/epidermis/shell.py", line 28
class Shell():
^

pycentral: pycentral pkginstall: error byte-compiling files (25)
pycentral pkginstall: error byte-compiling files (25)
Processing triggers for man-db ...
epidermis

The application appears to work fine though. Good work.

Orlsend
October 29th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Thank you for Submiting your error, I believe the latest version is the faulty.

I am trying to get in contact with Flimm.

rudihawk
October 29th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Yehaw! Great program man! :)

Flimm
October 30th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Yehaw! Great program man! :)
Thanks!

Flimm
October 30th, 2008, 08:41 PM
For those experiencing problems with the .deb files, I'm sorry, but I don't have a quick and easy fix yet. I'll get to work on it next week, it'll be a week of holidays for me.
I guess this is the right moment to announce that I have enabled bug tracking in my project, so if you have a launchpad account, go ahead and report your bug at https://bugs.launchpad.net/epidermis/ .

with me epidermis just dies when i try to reload the repository.

from the terminal output:

$ epidermis
Epidermis, Copyright (C) 2008 David D Lowe
Epidermis comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details click on the About button, License
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; for details click on the About button, License
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/epidermis/epidermis.py:287: GtkWarning: gdk_window_set_icon_list: icons too large
self.win.show_all()
python: ../../src/xcb_lock.c:33: _XCBUnlockDisplay: Assertion `xcb_get_request_sent(dpy->xcb->connection) == dpy->request' failed.
Aborted

I've encountered this bug a few times, and I have no idea what's causing it. It seems to be totally random, nothing I change in my code seems to make any difference. I'm upgrading to Intrepid Ibex from the alpha releases, I'll see if that does the trick. Otherwise, I'll need to research it more.

nintennuendo
November 3rd, 2008, 03:23 AM
It downloads the repository, downloads everything, then hangs on Installing. Been going for about 30 minutes, is that normal?

Anduu
November 3rd, 2008, 04:52 AM
This looks very promising indeed...cannot wait to see how it all pans out :KS

Flimm
November 3rd, 2008, 12:58 PM
Hey Im still having probelems getting this working correctly. I installed from source originally. When installing from source i usually use check install but in this case as there was no makefile just the python script i could not do that. I am having problems downloading the initial pigment file when i click on find more. I got it working on the PC in my sisters place and she thinks its good. I used the .deb file there.

I tried the .deb file on my laptop and i keep getting the following error

root@skint-laptop:/home/skint/Desktop# dpkg -i epidermis_0.1-0ubuntu0_all.deb
(Reading database ... 163458 files and directories currently installed.)
pycentral: pycentral pkginstall: not overwriting local files
pycentral pkginstall: not overwriting local files
epidermis

I think i will prob have to uninstall the original. Any ideas other than manually deleting every file??
I got a similar error message when installing the .deb on a fresh installation of Ubuntu Intrepid, I managed to fix it by running this command in a terminal:
sudo atp-get install -f
I need to improve my packaging skills.

wispygalaxy
November 7th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Looks good, Flimm!

Going off topic....

"Hey, Bart, your epidermis is showing!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClynhFKMs3c

Orlsend
November 8th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Yeah thank you for adding a little spice to this thread, me and Flimm are fan of the Simpson's too.

*News:

Hold on there guys, Flimm is going to release a new tool to make the process of making pigments more easy.

wispygalaxy
November 9th, 2008, 07:33 AM
No problem, haha!

Flimm
November 19th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Epidermis 0.2 is out!

This release features a new utility called "Epidermis Creator", it lets you make pigments easily, since it uses a GUI. I've attached a screenshot. Hopefully, this will ignite the creative spark in you, if you want to submit any pigments to the repository, tell me here or in a PM.

To install a created pigment, click Open on the main screen of Epidermis. To activate it, you'll need to have one skin installed already, select it, click customise, and choose your newly created and installed pigment. Then click Apply. Enjoy!

Announcement (http://epidermis.tuxfamily.org/?q=node/47) | Downloads (https://launchpad.net/epidermis/0.x/0.2)

MadsRH
November 20th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Looks great! Keep up the good work :-)

Isn't there a similar project (a theme manager) under Gnome? Are you in contact with the developers there?

Flimm
November 22nd, 2008, 01:57 PM
The only similar project I'm aware of is GNOME Art NextGen (http://developer.berlios.de/projects/gnomeartng/), but it's not an official GNOME project. Plus it's written in C#, it's limited to the kind of themes art.gnome.org hosts, and it doesn't support non GNOME-related things like Usplash and Grub.
I should contact the develepor sometime if only to discuss our respective visions.

Maddy
December 12th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Maybe theming for firefox would be nice :-)

I like the program a lot, 1 program to do all the theming. Now we need a bunch of themes.

peddy
December 14th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Great app, but are there more themes than the 2 included, and where can I find them?

Cheers

benmoran
January 16th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Sorry if you already answered this, but when do you plan to introduce new themes?

And if we were to make our own themes, where should we submit them to for considering of being included?

I think with a handful of extra themes, this program would really become useful. Especially for a lot of new users who can't yet deal with the over complexity of the different window managers, etc.

Flimm
January 16th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Yes, themes are being made, right now the plan is to make distro themes according to this blueprint (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/epidermis/+spec/make-distro-skins).
The workflow for adding pigments to the repository is this:
- choose a few themes or images (wallpapers and so on) and package them into pigments using Epidermis Creator, a simple GUI app that should be easy to use for anyone used to theming.
- the pigments are sent to me, I review them, making sure that the license is mentioned and free, the copyright holders (authors) are mentioned, and that the theme is of decent quality.
- I upload the pigments to the repository.

Right now, Orlsend (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=612732) is concentrating on packaging themes into pigments, while I'm concentrating on bug fixing!

The workflow is not ideal obviously, it would be nice to have a way to view and submits pigments on the web, but this workflow will have to do for now.

By the way, if you're running a distro other than Ubuntu, you can help us (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1019508).

registerdown
February 2nd, 2009, 04:01 PM
This is soo cool, have been thinking that we need a "one click" complete skin/visual change app for linux/ubuntu. Awesome!
Thanks.

MadsRH
February 2nd, 2009, 11:53 PM
Hi Flimm
It really looks like Epidermis is taking off. On my blog (anotherubuntu.blogspot.com) I wrote a post about the project. I just have a few comments:

1: I've contacted http://francois.vogelweith.com/ and suggested that they should package their themes for Epidermis.

2: Have you considerer how to adapt when Gnome 3 is released?

3: The apply button should turn gray or unclickable!
If I click the "find more" menu, I can select the Apply button (of course nothing happens as no change were made).
Also when I select the themes I want and clicking Apply, the installer runs as it should. But afterwards, the themes are still selected and I can still click Apply.

4: Shouldn't my current theme be visible when I start the program for the first time? It made kind of nervous, what if I can't undo the theme and restore my current look 8-[

Just my 2 cent

Flimm
February 4th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Hi Flimm
It really looks like Epidermis is taking off. On my blog (anotherubuntu.blogspot.com) I wrote a post about the project. I just have a few comments:Thanks, MadsRH. Rock the blogosphere.

1: I've contacted http://francois.vogelweith.com/ and suggested that they should package their themes for Epidermis.Mmmm, looks interesting. I'd love to upload their themes into the Epidermis repo.

2: Have you considerer how to adapt when Gnome 3 is released?To be frank, no. As far as I know theming in GNOME 3 has yet to be finalised.

3: The apply button should turn gray or unclickable!
If I click the "find more" menu, I can select the Apply button (of course nothing happens as no change were made).
Also when I select the themes I want and clicking Apply, the installer runs as it should. But afterwards, the themes are still selected and I can still click Apply.That's a good point. The first one is definitely a bug.

4: Shouldn't my current theme be visible when I start the program for the first time? It made kind of nervous, what if I can't undo the theme and restore my current look 8-[

Just my 2 centThere's a blueprint related to this (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/epidermis/+spec/save-current-look), but it would take quite a lot of work, as I'd need to have automatic preview generation as well. It's in the long-term goals.

suffer1989
February 20th, 2009, 06:00 PM
late reply, but can you back-up your current settings, befire trying something new ?

Flimm
February 20th, 2009, 07:22 PM
late reply, but can you back-up your current settings, befire trying something new ?
Looks like you missed reply number three (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5931011&postcount=3) in this thread. ;)

vicky_love
February 24th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Wow !! Very good !dea of having a One-Click tweak of your look and feel of Ubuntu.

Thanks and Best wishes from me. :)

Orlsend
February 24th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks! I being packaging some skin and pigments.a new skin should be one the way to the repos.

Along with new translations.

Volt9000
March 22nd, 2009, 10:28 PM
I tried this guy out but it didn't work.
No matter what I selected, be it a cursor, theme, whatever, nothing happened. Nothing was changed.

Orlsend
March 23rd, 2009, 10:00 AM
Could you run in the terminal and post the output?

Flimm
April 10th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Epidermis 0.2.3 has been released (http://epidermis.tuxfamily.org/?q=node/77), everyone!

Orlsend
April 10th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Woohoo! I am upgrading :D

Flimm
August 8th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Epidermis 0.3.1 has been released (http://epidermis.tuxfamily.org/news/09/08/08/031-is-the-good-stuff-minus-some-annoyances), everyone!

alex.rayu
August 8th, 2009, 07:53 PM
A very handy program! why not yet included in a default setup yet?

days_of_ruin
August 8th, 2009, 09:07 PM
A very handy program! why not yet included in a default setup yet?

Did anyone ask? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/NewPackages

alex.rayu
August 9th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Vote for it!
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/411039

Flimm
November 1st, 2009, 10:17 PM
Epidermis 0.4 has been released (http://epidermis.tuxfamily.org/news/09/11/01/xsplash-themes-here-we-come), and this version includes Xsplash theming! It also makes packaging themes into pigments easier, thanks to automatic preview generation.

I tried getting Epidermis into the Karmic repositories but my upload (http://revu.ubuntuwire.com/p/epidermis) just sat there at revu.

nwarrenfl
November 2nd, 2009, 10:59 AM
Nice, but your user interface is ugly in my opinion.
Also using a tree view would be better i think to show theme elements. The buttons are also displayed very strangely.

Would be nice if HIG-compliant, otherwise it might be a good program... ;)

Flimm
November 2nd, 2009, 07:29 PM
Nice, but your user interface is ugly in my opinion.
Also using a tree view would be better i think to show theme elements. The buttons are also displayed very strangely.

Would be nice if HIG-compliant, otherwise it might be a good program... ;)
I agree with you full-heartedly, actually. Designers are always welcome (http://epidermis.tuxfamily.org/contribute#design) at the Epidermis project. I have been working on a new interface in my spare spare-time ;) and here's a little screenshot. As you can see, it still needs a lot of work.

Flimm
January 14th, 2010, 11:32 PM
I agree with you full-heartedly, actually. Designers are always welcome (http://epidermis.tuxfamily.org/contribute#design) at the Epidermis project. I have been working on a new interface in my spare spare-time ;) and here's a little screenshot. As you can see, it still needs a lot of work.
Well, unfortunately, the new design didn't make it in the next version. However, I did manage to make Epidermis cross-distro, Debian unstable is now supported in version 0.5 (http://epidermis.tuxfamily.org/news/10/01/14/epidermis-supports-debian-unstable-in-05).