PDA

View Full Version : Answering questions or pulling teeth?

Modawg
October 8th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Since when is it illegal to download and install Limewire? There are plenty of lawful reasons: testing limewire on Ubuntu, acessing and sharing license free music through the limewire medium, keeping limewire on your Ubuntu because you're a obsessive compulsive person who likes to have limewire on your computer ... just because.

Is getting help around here like pulling teeth? That was the most honest direct question that did not receive a direct response that I've ever seen.

My answer: Many programs aren't offered on Ubuntu, which is why it is not a bad idea to install VMWare, which will let you boot into windows through a window on your Ubuntu system.

aysiu
October 8th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Since when is it illegal to download and install Limewire? There are plenty of lawful reasons: testing limewire on Ubuntu, acessing and sharing license free music through the limewire medium, keeping limewire on your Ubuntu because you're a obsessive compulsive person who likes to have limewire on your computer ... just because. I asked the OP what legal music she or he was planning on downloading. I didn't see anything about having it there just to have it. The OP clearly said it was for downloading music. I'm just trying to make sure it's for legal downloads and not illegal ones.

Is getting help around here like pulling teeth? That was the most honest direct question that did not receive a direct response that I've ever seen. If you want to install a hard-to-install application that has an easier-to-install alternative that's arguably better, and you plan to use it for purposes that are potentially illegal, then, yes, it is like pulling teeth.

If the OP had simply said, "How do I install Frostwire?" there wouldn't be this drawn out discussion about it.

Edit: These moved posts were originally in How do I install Limewire? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=941230)

Modawg
October 8th, 2008, 04:18 AM
I asked the OP what legal music she or he was planning on downloading. I didn't see anything about having it there just to have it. The OP clearly said it was for downloading music. I'm just trying to make sure it's for legal downloads and not illegal ones.

If you want to install a hard-to-install application that has an easier-to-install alternative that's arguably better, and you plan to use it for purposes that are potentially illegal, then, yes, it is like pulling teeth.

If the OP had simply said, "How do I install Frostwire?" there wouldn't be this drawn out discussion about it.

You can't get illegal media on Frostwire?

iansane
October 8th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Well transmission installed by default in Ubuntu and most people I know go to that famous site for torrents that I'm not mentioning and get torrents and illegally download music, video, and software so you might say what's the difference and why all the trouble over frostwire?

I'm assuming, Aysiu as a forum administrator is charged with the responsibility of keeping the forum clean, legal, and ligit and the OP did mention music download so Aysiu has to cover the forums you know what. "transmission" is not intended for illegal purposes even though it can be used for them. It's for ligitimate freely distributed media like downloading linux distributions.

Reminds me of problem I had a few days ago with dynamips. It's in the Ubuntu repo's and it's even suggested on certforums as a free alternative for CCNA lab so I go asking where I can get Cisco images for it. Turns out it's illegal to load cisco images in it and no one is going to tell me where to get them. so it's useless but it's still there in the repos. I had an interesting conversation with a few premium members there who were keeping things legit on that forum.

I'm not saying whether I've done anything I wasn't supposed to do but I will say I respect the motives of people like Aysiu and the guys on the certforum.

aysiu
October 8th, 2008, 04:55 AM
You can't get illegal media on Frostwire?
Yes, you can. And if the OP of that thread had said "I want to use Frostwire to download music" I'd be asking the same questions.