PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do i change desktop/login envireoment from terminal?

MasterNetra
October 7th, 2008, 02:53 AM
How do i change desktop/login envireoment from terminal? I recently removed KDE4 and i wasn't even promopted to change the login enviroment or whatever and i want it back to gnome.

overdrank
October 7th, 2008, 04:09 AM
How do i change desktop/login envireoment from terminal? I recently removed KDE4 and i wasn't even promopted to change the login enviroment or whatever and i want it back to gnome.

Hi and you should be able to restart x with the ctrl, alt, backspace keys and then change the session at the login.

MasterNetra
October 7th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Doesn't work. I'm not in a GUI enviroment at login now nor when i login. Its all command prompt. I need to change the stuff from thinking it needs to be KDE4 to Gnome.

MasterNetra
October 7th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Let me rephrase this... How do you change out of KDE4 stuff from the terminal/Command Prompt?
Sense KDE4 style was used at login. Seeing as KDE4 removed without the system putting in a replace ment it defaults to a command prompt login thing. Although after logging in your still stuck at command prompt..

MasterNetra
October 7th, 2008, 04:52 PM
*Bump* Unresolved

maruthi_s@infosys.com
October 7th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Not sure whether I understood your question clearly, But you can change the login by using su -u or dong a ssh to the environment you wish to login with a different user id.

snowpine
October 7th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Can you run 'gdm' to get back to the graphical login?

MasterNetra
October 7th, 2008, 06:42 PM
How do i run gdm from command prompt? And to maruthi. I am asking how to change the Xserver login from using KDE4 (which is uninstalled) back to use gnome so that i can graphically login and use my accounts in a GUI again. Esstentially is what i'm asking.

tspan
October 7th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I think that this should work:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

then reboot.

If not, then:

Check if /etc/X11/default-display-manager file consists only of "/usr/sbin/gdm" without quotes.

cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager

If not, edit /etc/X11/default-display-manager and write only /usr/sbin/gdm

sudo nano /etc/X11/default-display-manager

Ctrl-O to save, Ctrl-X to exit nano.

Then run:

sudo update-rc.d gdm defaults

If gdm, GNOME, etc. are all installed properly you should just run:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

to start gdm and X or you could just reboot your machine.

Hope this helped.

MasterNetra
October 7th, 2008, 10:10 PM
That first option worked thanks a bunch!

I think that this should work:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

then reboot.

If not, then:

Check if /etc/X11/default-display-manager file consists only of "/usr/sbin/gdm" without quotes.

cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager

If not, edit /etc/X11/default-display-manager and write only /usr/sbin/gdm

sudo nano /etc/X11/default-display-manager

Ctrl-O to save, Ctrl-X to exit nano.

Then run:

sudo update-rc.d gdm defaults

If gdm, GNOME, etc. are all installed properly you should just run:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

to start gdm and X or you could just reboot your machine.

Hope this helped.