PDA

View Full Version : [kde] [xfce] - Taskbars missing.

MadnessRed
October 6th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I have ubuntu and gnome/xfce/kde installed on it.

My problem is the bars at bottom (and/or top) are missing. I have attached a screenshot. Can anyone please help as I would like to use KDE.

Inferiority Complex
October 6th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Either your screenshot hasn't posted properly or I'm just not seeing it.

Anyway, press CTRL+ESC to bring up the Xfce menu. Go to SETTINGS > SETTINGS MANAGER and choose the PANELS option. You should be able to restore the panels from there.

Kilmarac
October 6th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Im not sure on xfce, but recently in gnome i had the same issue. The problem came when I uninstalled some software I did not feel I needed. The system uninstalled gnome-panel and several of its dependencies because it was a dependency of the program I uninstalled. Not finding anything on the forums about this, it took me a long time of searching before I at least figured out what I was looking for, then I figured out the problem in about five minutes.

MadnessRed
October 12th, 2008, 01:07 PM
sorry, the screenshot didn't post, I will look in package manager and try the ctrl escape.

Meanwhile I will try again with the screenshot.

oblio9
October 14th, 2008, 01:46 AM
I screwed up and now can not access any type of menu in xfce. Does anyone know how I can get it back. I shutdown the panel so I don't have that and I can't get to the menu to change the settings. I am hoping/assuming I can just edit a configuration file somewhere but I looked in all of the files in .config for xfce and didn't find anything. I'd prefer not to have to reinstall. Anyone else do this before? Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Nevermind. I found it. .config/xfce4/mcs_settings/desktop.xml showdm = 1

MadnessRed
October 22nd, 2008, 05:28 PM
thanks ill try that too.