PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Question

joker41
October 6th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Hi everyone. I am new to the idea of Linux and I wanted to try it out. I currently own Ubuntu 8.04 and am ready to dual-boot with Vista.

What is better about Ubuntu than Vista or XP? (I am a casual gamer, so is there a way that i can play games like Farcry on Ubuntu? I have heard about Wine but I would like some details)

Thanks

Paul41
October 6th, 2008, 01:14 AM
WINE is a a way to run some Windows applications in Linux, but it's not perfect. I am not a gamer but what most gamers say is that it's best to dual boot and play games on Windows.

joker41
October 6th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Will I get a performance hit on Vista (gaming-wise and regular)if I dual boot with ubuntu?

Paul41
October 6th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Not at all. You can think of a dual boot as running two separate computers. Vista will be exactly as it was before.

joker41
October 6th, 2008, 02:02 AM
One last dilemma. I am following A PCMag's guide to idual boot Vista with Ubuntu 9Vista installed first) but when I install Ubuntu it stops at 5% and my keyboard CAPS lock and SCROLL lock keys are flashing.

Any idea on what the problem is?

eldragon
October 6th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Hi everyone. I am new to the idea of Linux and I wanted to try it out. I currently own Ubuntu 8.04 and am ready to dual-boot with Vista.

What is better about Ubuntu than Vista or XP? (I am a casual gamer, so is there a way that i can play games like Farcry on Ubuntu? I have heard about Wine but I would like some details)

Thanks

you do not own ubuntu, or linux, the same way you do not own vista. you are being given a license to use it.

with windows, that license gives you lots of restrictions.

with ubuntu or linux, that license ensures the restrictions are minimal, and guarantees it will stay that way.

joker41
October 6th, 2008, 02:30 AM
nm, I fixed it. I just went through the Live UBUNTU part and installed it through there.

Thanks

joker41
October 6th, 2008, 02:31 AM
Sorry dude, I didn't mean to upset you. I just meant I downloaded the LiveCD.

ebmelle
October 6th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Suggest you use the option on the CD to check for errors on the live CD. Also run the memory test. If all OK, then Ubuntu will install and via the utility GRUB, give you the option to run using Vista or Ubuntu whenever you go to boot up.
I do not recommend running under Windows as a Windows application; experience indicate that insufficient space is allocated for some critical updates. Normal instal is therefor suggested.