PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Auto-naming Ripped CDs (ID3 tags)

TomDaBomb2u
October 5th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Hello,

I am in the process of completely switching over from Windows to Ubuntu. I'm looking for a program that automatically names my CDs when inserted and ID3 tags them when ripped, like Windows Media Player.

Any suggestions???
Thanks!

-Thomas

surfed
October 5th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I have always found grip to give me exellent results in both ripping quality and free-cddb naming and tagging of disks and songs.

FakeOutdoorsman
October 6th, 2008, 04:37 AM
I like abcde. It's quick and easy.
abcde: Command Line Music CD Ripping for Linux (http://www.andrews-corner.org/abcde.html)

TomDaBomb2u
October 7th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I like abcde. It's quick and easy.
abcde: Command Line Music CD Ripping for Linux (http://www.andrews-corner.org/abcde.html)

Thanks guys! abcde seems pretty cool. But is there a way I can change the text editor from nano to gedit when I have to edit CDDB info??

-Thomas

FakeOutdoorsman
October 7th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Try adding this to your .abcde.conf file:

EDITOR=/usr/bin/gedit

TomDaBomb2u
October 7th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Try adding this to your .abcde.conf file:

EDITOR=/usr/bin/gedit

Nope. That didn't work. I think I still like it though. Just not too fond of Nano lol.

I'm gonna look for some more documentation on the program, but it looks really promising. Thanks again!

FakeOutdoorsman
October 7th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I made a guess as to where gedit might be since I don't have it, so it may be located elsewhere for you, or maybe it's not even named gedit:

whereis gedit
Maybe it needs single quotes:

EDITOR='/usr/bin/gedit'

andrew.46
October 24th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Hi Tom:

Thanks guys! abcde seems pretty cool. But is there a way I can change the text editor from nano to gedit when I have to edit CDDB info??

Glad you liked the guide :-). abcde reads the $EDITOR variable and I believe that this is the easiest way to change to gedit. To alter this you could try:

$ gedit $HOME/.bashrc

and then add the following:

EDITOR=/usr/bin/gedit && export EDITOR

I tried this on my own system, where normally I use vim, and it worked well enough.

Andrew

NewDream
November 2nd, 2008, 12:47 AM
Just as a quick side note, with grip you do all of this from the GUI. In the panel under config -> Encoding you can set all the tag information.

Good luck !