PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DVD why is it a big deal?

Vertoxic
October 5th, 2008, 08:59 PM
i dont understand why is it so hard to get the DVD player to work lol, anyways i have tried everything guys..

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683 <-(tried to do this)
that did not help, ive tried a few other things as well nothing seems to help..

nowshining
October 5th, 2008, 09:27 PM
legal issues and canonical doesn't want to get sued...altho the founder could afford it... hmmm...

Besides if using totem - it won't play a DVD by default when inserting the disc, sorry and neither choosing the menu item DVD...

Have u tried browsing the disc?? is the disc mounted?? Sometimes a disc won't mount automatically and may need to manually be mounted by double clicking on the icon.. If u have not changed anything the Disc icon should appear on the desktop indicating the disc is mounted...

Alas maybe ur DVD player can't read the disc...

Vertoxic
October 5th, 2008, 09:49 PM
legal issues and canonical doesn't want to get sued...altho the founder could afford it... hmmm...

Besides if using totem - it won't play a DVD by default when inserting the disc, sorry and neither choosing the menu item DVD...

Have u tried browsing the disc?? is the disc mounted?? Sometimes a disc won't mount automatically and may need to manually be mounted by double clicking on the icon.. If u have not changed anything the Disc icon should appear on the desktop indicating the disc is mounted...

Alas maybe ur DVD player can't read the disc...
my DVD player is fine brand new laptop it worked good on vista lol, as far as opening the disc and clicking on the icons it opens the DVD and played the FBI warning list and then just stops on the screen, so i know it reads it just wont go any further!

nowshining
October 5th, 2008, 09:52 PM
so u got the w32codecs, and the ubuntu restricted libs, etc.. installed right??

Vertoxic
October 5th, 2008, 10:24 PM
so u got the w32codecs, and the ubuntu restricted libs, etc.. installed right??
yes i do i believe so... how do i check to see if they are installed properly?

nowshining
October 5th, 2008, 10:26 PM
look for in synaptic for
ubuntu-restricted-extras or in a terminal do
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras ur pw won't show as you type it out..

WWSmith36
October 5th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Install libdvdcss2 and w32 video codecs in Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron)

Add medibuntu Respository

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

Then, add the GPG Key using the following commands

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring
sudo apt-get update

For i386 Users install Codecs using the following command

sudo apt-get install w32codecs libdvdcss2

For amd64 Users install Codecs using the following command

sudo apt-get install w64codecs libdvdcss2

Vertoxic
October 5th, 2008, 10:57 PM
k im doing all this right now, what player do u guys think i should use? anyone is fine?

Vertoxic
October 5th, 2008, 11:07 PM
ok well thank you all for help me now the DVD wors, but its very pixely what is that it looks horrible in full screen or half, i watching "office space"
anyone what this is maybe a diff DVD player would fix this?

minky311
October 5th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Try using vlc.

Vertoxic
October 5th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Try using vlc.
how do i install "VLC" is it in add/remove ?

minky311
October 5th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Yes it is. Just search for vlc.

haydnc
October 5th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Hi Vertoxic, I guess you decided not to give up on Ubuntu and install Vista after all. Good on you.

If you run into problems installing VLC from the Add/Remove dialog you should try using Synaptic Package Manager instead. You should be able to 'find' VLC in there and select it to be installed.

Vertoxic
October 5th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Hi Vertoxic, I guess you decided not to give up on Ubuntu and install Vista after all. Good on you.

If you run into problems installing VLC from the Add/Remove dialog you should try using Synaptic Package Manager instead. You should be able to 'find' VLC in there and select it to be installed.
hehe thx yah i decided to take a deep breath and do it right, and yes im loving it my wifi works everything alsmost exept this dvd is being werd

wich one of this do i pick guys?

Vertoxic
October 5th, 2008, 11:58 PM
sorry wrong screenshot..

minky311
October 6th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Install the one that says "vlc".

Vertoxic
October 6th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Install the one that says "vlc".
thx just did that and still the same way not any better... maybe i have a problem with my video card? how do i check what GPU drivers im running?

minky311
October 6th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Try lspci -v in the terminal.
Try this one for a gui
sudo displayconfig-gtk

gandaran
October 6th, 2008, 05:03 PM
thx just did that and still the same way not any better... maybe i have a problem with my video card? how do i check what GPU drivers im running?
vlc preferences, change the video output, there are many options there, try each one until you get one that works well, xv or x11
you can also do the same for mplayer