PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video Sharing - Ubuntu File & XP Winamp video sharing

WhyZeeGuy
October 5th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I have a solid Ubuntu 8.04 installation on my primary system that's running well. I downloaded a video series, Commanding Heights (if you want to understand today's economic problems, watch this flick) and it plays perfectly on Ubuntu/Totem. I shared the folder the video is saved in so I could watch on my XP (company owned) notebook but the video doesn't play at all, audio is fine. I've tried Winamp and Windows Media Player using XP without any success. No error messages or anything like that, just audio and no video.

My question is this, which hammer should a pound the notebook with, a 22oz framing hammer, or a regular 16oz? :mad:

Seriously, I'm new to Ubuntu and like to watch this movie while laying on my bed, nice PBS documentary to help me pass out at night.

All suggestions are welcome

jamesrl
October 5th, 2008, 06:48 PM
This is probably the wrong forum (try windows) but I would guess you don't have the proper codec in windows to play the file. Within totem figure out which codec(s) you need (e.g., look at the properties sidebar when playing), and then make sure you have that within windows (I'd suggest google searching for it).