PDA

View Full Version : World's Worst Screensaver

Dragineez
November 23rd, 2005, 05:06 AM
I put ubuntu onto my sister-in-law's laptop because I'm tired of performing the bi-annual "cleansing of the disk" to remove spyware. So I leave the thing running for a few days to make sure everything is all right.

Tonight I'm browsing through the forum and I see the thing crash and start to write a system dump of the crash event. I look at it - "Damn! Never seen that before." I touch the keyboard and it gives me the login dialog. It's a damn screensaver! Gave me a heart attack!

uberlinux
November 23rd, 2005, 05:15 AM
love that one

professor_chaos
November 23rd, 2005, 05:17 AM
Oh man, that sure would be a cruel default screensaver.
I love it....:)

Brunellus
November 23rd, 2005, 05:37 AM
the BSOD screensaver should be disabled by default. it is however hilarious to have it running when you know it isn't a real error.

My little brother (10 years old) thinks the phosphorus screensaver is cool. When my computer's idle, it starts scrolling the feed from Planet Ubuntu in old-school Wyse terminal style.

matthew
November 23rd, 2005, 05:45 AM
I LOVE the BSOD screensaver. It is my total favorite...okay, at least this week. :)

Iandefor
November 23rd, 2005, 08:59 AM
the BSOD screensaver should be disabled by default. it is however hilarious to have it running when you know it isn't a real error.

My little brother (10 years old) thinks the phosphorus screensaver is cool. When my computer's idle, it starts scrolling the feed from Planet Ubuntu in old-school Wyse terminal style.
I like the Phosphor screensaver as well. I just have it run fortune repeatedly. Good Times :)

Hobbsee
November 24th, 2005, 02:41 AM
hehehe...

I love the BSoD screensaver - i'll have to try and grab it for kubuntu...

Better still, is there a windows XP version of the screensaver, to stick on the study computer (which dad uses?) :D

firenurse4
November 24th, 2005, 02:58 AM
hehehe...

Better still, is there a windows XP version of the screensaver, to stick on the study computer (which dad uses?) :D

I'd love one those to take to work too!!!:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Kapre
November 24th, 2005, 04:46 AM
hehehe...

Hobbsee - Doesn't XP comes automatic with it? I know that previous versions of M$ came with it. he...he...he:p

sisiwong
November 24th, 2005, 08:30 AM
I wanna have this screensaver!~

Minyaliel
November 24th, 2005, 10:18 AM
lol I need to get that one :P *giggles*

asimon
November 24th, 2005, 11:01 AM
I had it once the other way around. One day I came to my computer and saw a kernel panic on the screen. "hehe, it's just the screensaver" I thought. Well, it wasn't the screensaver. Somehow X has crashed and the kernel panicked. Turned out that the hard drive crashed.
Anyhow, BSOD is still my favourite screensaver.

Sheinar
November 24th, 2005, 08:07 PM
That screensaver gives me nightmares. I was messing around with it before I went to sleep, then I dreamt that X started playing up, crashed and then corrupted my hard drive.

xequence
November 24th, 2005, 08:37 PM
I dont use a screensaver. Just a blank screen.

benplaut
November 24th, 2005, 09:29 PM
i used to love BSOD, but i got tired of it...

i used to put on really cool OpenGL screensavers, but i would leave my comp for a minute, and come back to find someone sitting in my chair, watching the flying toasters go by.

I changed my screensaver to the apple 2 emulator, and told it to print the output of cat this file:

stop looking at my screensaver!

i mean it, stop!

grr

if i give you something cool to look at, will you stop?

go away!

okay, here

o ^__^
o (..)\_______
(__)\ )\/\
||----w |
|| ||

ok, now go away

and it works! (except for a very stupid girl in my class who asked "how does it know i'm looking at it?)

Brunellus
November 24th, 2005, 11:49 PM
heck, I remember back when we actually had Apple IIs in our school....

wait. you bring your computer to school?

benplaut
November 24th, 2005, 11:57 PM
heck, I remember back when we actually had Apple IIs in our school....

wait. you bring your computer to school?

charter schools frikkin rock (i'm not in there... i'm taking the picture)

http://img499.imageshack.us/img499/6558/dscn09501uf.jpg

http://http://img499.imageshack.us/img499/6558/dscn09501uf.th.jpg (http://http://img499.imageshack.us/img499/6558/dscn09501uf.jpg)

towsonu2003
November 26th, 2005, 05:55 AM
I put ubuntu onto my sister-in-law's laptop because I'm tired of performing the bi-annual "cleansing of the disk" to remove spyware. So I leave the thing running for a few days to make sure everything is all right.

Tonight I'm browsing through the forum and I see the thing crash and start to write a system dump of the crash event. I look at it - "Damn! Never seen that before." I touch the keyboard and it gives me the login dialog. It's a damn screensaver! Gave me a heart attack!

:))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) ))))))))))))))))))))))

u cracked me up! hahaha. gotta find teh screen saver now. hahaha. found it. hehehe name is -hehehe- BSOD. kehkeh

now try "hufo's smoke" kihkih

lol

Iandefor
November 26th, 2005, 06:41 AM
That screensaver gives me nightmares. I was messing around with it before I went to sleep, then I dreamt that X started playing up, crashed and then corrupted my hard drive.

your dreams are POSIX-Compliant lol? Eww....