PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is it time to give up?

g500
October 4th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I have been trying for 3 weeks to get Ubuntu 8.04 working with Flash on a Sony Vaio laptop.

I started with Flash 9, tried all the fixes I could find in these forums (remove / replace libflash, try different sound options etc) but still either had video frozen after 2-3 seconds or no sound. No combination would give me sound and video.

I then updated to Flash 10 Beta which the forums suggest would resolve all my problems, but still video freeze after 2 seconds and no sound.

This has now got to the stage where I can no longer accept Ubuntu as a robust tool. Is there any way forward, or is it time to run back to the nasty Mr Gates' software.

wolfen69
October 4th, 2008, 06:10 PM
completely remove whichever version of flash you are using and then do:
sudo apt-get clean then
sudo apt-get autoremove then
sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree then
sudo apt-get install libflashsupport report back how it went.

g500
October 4th, 2008, 06:48 PM
completely remove whichever version of flash you are using and then do:
sudo apt-get clean then
sudo apt-get autoremove then
sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree then
sudo apt-get install libflashsupport report back how it went.

Sameold sameold! I am now back to Flash 9, 2 seconds worth of silent video, then freeze. Sound is set to Alsa, I don't know if this makes any difference.

eye208
October 4th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I started with Flash 9, tried all the fixes I could find in these forums (remove / replace libflash, try different sound options etc) but still either had video frozen after 2-3 seconds or no sound. No combination would give me sound and video.
I bet you didn't try this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=885437).

g500
October 4th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I bet you didn't try this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=885437).

I'm afraid I did. That is why I am now set to Alsa instead of Pulseaudio. Made no diff.

mumuwenwu
October 4th, 2008, 09:47 PM
hey, g500, if windows works better for you in this case, i would say maybe Mr. Gates is better for you than linux.

don't take me as a windows advocate, i am always in for linux, with over 8 years experience of linux.

i've encountered problems like you, spending days to work it out. that's painful.

so i understand your feelings.

computer is just a tool. don't rush into linux just because everyone else does. find a way that works best to you.

gandaran
October 4th, 2008, 10:18 PM
try this, right click the flash video, configurations, disable hardware acceleration, maybe it'll help.