PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GRUB gone after Vista upgrade

NobleRooster
October 4th, 2008, 01:33 AM
I have had and old version of Ubuntu installed on my laptop along side my Vista partition on the same harddrive. Well, I decided to update Vista to Vista Ultimate (hell it was only $10 so why not). Well, typically GRUB starts first and I choose either Vista or my Ubuntu install, but now it doesn't come up it just goes directly into the Vista boot.

Well, I'm wanting to wipe that partition that Ubuntu is installed on and start with a fresh, clean, newer install of Ubuntu because I've built up a lot of crap I just don't want on there anymore.

So this brings me to the question, how can I get the GRUB bootloader back, and can I just get back by reinstalling Ubuntu on the wiped partition?

Any help is appreciated.

Sub101
October 4th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Just reinstalling Ubuntu should do it for you. I think.

NobleRooster
October 4th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Ok, well, I'm about to do an instal...but I'm not sure as to what partition of my main HDD is my Ubuntu. I'm in Windows Disk management thing, and there is one that is 15GB and I'm pretty sure that that is the one I made for Ubuntu in the first place. But Windows says there is nothing installed on it when I know there is. What's up with that and how can I be sure that is the right partition?

meierfra.
October 4th, 2008, 04:59 AM
You only need to reinstall Grub. Click on FixGrub in my signature for instructions.

NobleRooster
October 4th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Thanks meierfra! This can be closed now I suppose unless I get any other questions.