PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Theorizing a situation here. Fluendo Codecs? Business? Ubuntu?

Roasted
October 3rd, 2008, 05:00 PM
To be blunt, I don't know what the laws are, and quite frankly... I don't care. Ha! Anyway, just say I was opening a business using exclusively Ubuntu. Would it be wise for me to invest in Fluendo codecs that are "legal" or whatever? Or is there really no use to pay for Fluendo codecs while the others (Medibuntu) exist?

I just can't see the logistics behind paying for software add-ons to an already free OS. So of course at home, regardless of how many computers I own, I'll never think twice or give a damn about it. But if I'm in the corporate world where people seem to sue each other because they're bored, a second thought comes into mind.

Any input?

wolfen69
October 3rd, 2008, 06:45 PM
i personally have never heard of the codec police busting down any doors. it is my belief that most people just use the medibuntu repos and call it a day. besides, how would anyone know? in the end, it is up to you to make the call. i personally would not worry about it.

Roasted
October 3rd, 2008, 06:58 PM
Good point, and I understand. I'm just talking from a theory standpoint. I'm really not planning on starting a business or anything. :P

cariboo907
October 3rd, 2008, 07:55 PM
I think Canonical is just selling the codecs for places like th US where it seems everything is illegal these days, when it comes to copyright and reverse engineering.

Jim

Roasted
October 4th, 2008, 05:01 AM
I just think it's strange how they can offer both.

It's like, oh yeah, we have a medibuntu repository package anybody can easily download. But it's okay, we charge for these codecs over here that do the exact same thing.

Modplanman
October 4th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Medibuntu is community provided (I think). It's not really officially endorsed by Canonical. If Canonical wants to provide codecs, they'd have to do so within the law. The medibuntu repository is a legal grey area.

This is especially true with OEM's, who also don't want to get into hot water. Having "official" codecs for that eases their worrying minds.

sloggerkhan
October 4th, 2008, 07:50 AM
what country is your business based in and what does your business do?

Based on those 2 points, you will either find no need for paying for the codecs or it may seem prudent.

Temüjin
October 4th, 2008, 08:19 AM
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/formality

Roasted
October 4th, 2008, 05:04 PM
So, I guess what it comes down to is this...

Medibuntu has the right to exist because not every country in the world has ridiculous laws which hinders its right to exist. So, therefore, it has its place on the internet.

And, at the same token, since the internet is global... this medibuntu package is easily obtainable by US Ubuntu users. Okay, cool.

Thing that confuses me is the fact it's on their web site.