PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error on trying to increase screen resolution

Shaddam
October 3rd, 2008, 02:48 AM
I just did a fresh install of Ubuntu Release 8.04.1 (Hardy) desktop version and my max resolution is 800 x 600. Iíve installed the drivers for my oldschool 3DFX Voodoo 5500 by executing the following commands:

"sudo apt-get install libglide3"
"sudo ldconfig"

the glxgears work great.

I then tried
"sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg"

However, this errors out every time. Iíve attached a screenshot of the error. Itís SOOO annoying to have a 800 x 600 resolution. Iíll admit that Iím an Ubuntu noob and am trying to learn all about it. If anyone can give me some guidance as to how I can improve my resolution please let me know!

Shaddam
October 5th, 2008, 04:38 AM
I just did a fresh install of Ubuntu Release 8.04.1 (Hardy) desktop version and my max resolution is 800 x 600. Iíve installed the drivers for my oldschool 3DFX Voodoo 5500 by executing the following commands:

"sudo apt-get install libglide3"
"sudo ldconfig"

the glxgears work great.

I then tried
"sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg"

However, this errors out every time. Iíve attached a screenshot of the error. Itís SOOO annoying to have a 800 x 600 resolution. Iíll admit that Iím an Ubuntu noob and am trying to learn all about it. If anyone can give me some guidance as to how I can improve my resolution please let me know!
Can no one help me with this error? I'd really appreciate any help :D

wolfen69
October 5th, 2008, 07:59 AM
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg(no -phigh) then restart x or reboot.

Shaddam
October 6th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Thank you for your help wolf69! I tried the "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and got the following error:

nathan@nathan-desktop:~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
[sudo] password for nathan:
xserver-xorg postinst warning: overwriting possibly-customised configuration
file; backup in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20081006084046
FATAL: Error inserting battery (/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/kernel/drivers/acpi/battery.ko): No such device
nathan@nathan-desktop:~$

Below is an attached screenshot of the terminal window. Any ideas on how to fix this so I can have a better resolution then 800 x 600?

Also, I've read the following posts about this and it seems I'm not the only person who hasn't gotten this question answered:
http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=895259
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5627277