PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] convert jpg to mpg with ffmpeg

hendoc
October 3rd, 2008, 12:11 AM
I have a directory with image files named 1.jpg thru 18.jpg. I have tried to convert them to mpg(any video format would do) using a tutorial I found with Google.

Turn X images to a video sequence

ffmpeg -f image2 -i image%d.jpg video.mpg

This command will transform all the images from the current directory (named image1.jpg, image2.jpg, etc…) to a video file named video.mpg.

I get the following error message:

hendoc@Axena:~$ cd image2
hendoc@Axena:~/image2$ ffmpeg -f 1.jpg -i 18.jpg vid.mpg
FFmpeg version SVN-rUNKNOWN, Copyright (c) 2000-2007 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-pp --enable-swscaler --enable-pthreads --enable-libvorbis --enable-libtheora --enable-libogg --enable-libgsm --enable-dc1394 --disable-debug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libfaadbin --enable-libfaad --enable-libfaac --enable-xvid --enable-x264 --enable-liba52 --enable-amr_nb --enable-amr_wb --enable-shared --prefix=/usr
libavutil version: 1d.49.3.0
libavcodec version: 1d.51.38.0
libavformat version: 1d.51.10.0
built on Jul 29 2008 18:21:25, gcc: 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)
Unknown input or output format: 1.jpg
hendoc@Axena:~/image2$

I am missing something basic. Any ideas?

FakeOutdoorsman
October 3rd, 2008, 06:59 PM
You're running the command incorrectly. Navigate to the folder containing the images and try:

ffmpeg -f image2 -i %d.jpg video.mpg

hendoc
October 3rd, 2008, 09:00 PM
That's progress, FakeOutdoorsman. It created an mpg, but it plays at hyperspeed. I Believe I will be be able to change the speed myself. In any event, Your reply is greatly appreciated. The tutorial I have is much clearer on bitrates, etc. Thanks again for your time.

mister_p_1998
May 9th, 2012, 08:55 AM
I've got an mp3 I've converted to an mpg to post on Youtube, how do I get it to display one jpg image all the way through the track? (Its audio only at the moment)

FakeOutdoorsman
May 11th, 2012, 11:59 PM
You didn't specify your Ubuntu version, so I will give you current FFmpeg syntax:

ffmpeg -r 1 -loop 1 -i input.jpg -i input.mp3 -shortest -c:v libx264 -preset veryslow -tune stillimage -crf 18 -c:a copy output.mkv
Older ffmpeg or the version from the repository will probably use:

ffmpeg -r 1 -loop_input -i input.jpg -i input.mp3 -shortest -vcodec libx264 -preset veryslow -crf 18 -acodec copy output.mkv
Even older syntax:

ffmpeg -r 1 -loop_input -i input.jpg -i input.mp3 -shortest -vcodec libx264 -vpre veryslow -crf 18 -acodec copy output.mkv