PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need help going back to Windows

eldutcho
October 2nd, 2008, 10:36 PM
I installed ubuntu right before the summer started, but I've come to realize I seriously lack the skill with computers to get ubuntu to do what I want it to (mainly I cannot for the life of me get WoW to work). But anyway, being the genius I am, I installed ubuntu on a complete partition of my HDD, and my laptop will not boot off my windows xp install disk for whatever reason, even with my CD ROM drive set as having top priority in the boot order (does grub loader always take boot priority?)
I just have no idea what to do, thus even more reason for switching back to an OS that doesn't need much knowledge.
It's been fun, Ubuntu is very interesting, but I need to switch back.
if it matters I have an Acer aspire 5100 laptop.
Thanks for any help in advance

Paqman
October 2nd, 2008, 11:02 PM
I've come to realize I seriously lack the skill with computers to get ubuntu to do what I want it to (mainly I cannot for the life of me get WoW to work).

That's not really your fault. WoW isn't supposed to work at all on Linux. I'd advise a dual-boot setup if there's Windows apps you want to run.

my laptop will not boot off my windows xp install disk for whatever reason, even with my CD ROM drive set as having top priority in the boot order (does grub loader always take boot priority?)

Sounds like you don't have a bootable XP install disk. You'll need to get one from somewhere to reinstall. Ask around, somebody will have one you can borrow. Make sure it's the same version of XP that you have a licence key for, otherwise the key won't work.

Don't be tempted to download a Windows disk from the internet. Besides being illegal, installing an OS obtained from an untrusted source is a huge security risk.

intimatewipe
October 2nd, 2008, 11:08 PM
sorry to hear your probs mate,I take it your trying too reinstall xp as a single boot,grub should not have any effect if your doing this,if you have set your bios to boot from the cd drive and windows won;t boot then something is wrong with your install disk,are you sure its a full install
disk and not a recovery disk?
If your determined to return to xp then I suggest you set up a dual boot
and have the best of both worlds,install xp first and use the live cd version to split your hard drive and so forth,there are many tutorials on how to do this,it is quiet easy,or you can download vmware and download ubuntu from the vmware virtual market place and run ubuntu inside your xp when you need it,I have both these options on my laptop and they work well,you need a gig of ram though or its a bit slow running a virtual machine.

billgoldberg
October 2nd, 2008, 11:11 PM
It sounds to me that either the disc is at fault (not bootable, corrupted) or the cd-rom drive is busted.

--

The grub is just a bootloader like Windows has the MBR, it will not interfere with the preferences set in the bios.

(and for that matter I think it couldn't even if it wanted, not completely sure)

semitone36
October 2nd, 2008, 11:13 PM
Although I respect that you feel the need to switch back to windows I hope that you will give linux another chance before you do. Your problems with WoW are easily fixable if you give it time and patience.

But if you are intent on leaving our community then simply make sure you have your BIOS menu set to boot from the CD drive, insert a Windows disk, and put in the key. Windows should take care of everything else.

EDIT: Oops sorry i just re-read your post and realized that you are having trouble with your install disk too. In that case I would follow paqman's advice.

o.besner
October 2nd, 2008, 11:38 PM
If you can't find anyone with a XP cd (with Vista these days they are getting harder to find) you can download it via bittorrent. You probably know how it works, so I won't tell you how to do it. Since you have a windows licence (every laptop has one underneath), it's legal to download it, I'm certain.

If you don't know how to use Bittorrent, message me.

Dual-boot is pretty easy, and very useful, even for casual pc users -- Since Linux is free of Viruses, you can log in and use it when you need to buy on Ebay, check your bank account, transfer money on paypal, buy stock options, etc.

eldutcho
October 2nd, 2008, 11:57 PM
Although I respect that you feel the need to switch back to windows I hope that you will give linux another chance before you do. Your problems with WoW are easily fixable if you give it time and patience.

But if you are intent on leaving our community then simply make sure you have your BIOS menu set to boot from the CD drive, insert a Windows disk, and put in the key. Windows should take care of everything else.

EDIT: Oops sorry i just re-read your post and realized that you are having trouble with your install disk too. In that case I would follow paqman's advice.

im planning on running a dual OS setup if I can't get WoW to work, its just frustrating having no clue what to do to get it running, no matter who's 'how to' I use

Paqman
October 3rd, 2008, 12:16 AM
im planning on running a dual OS setup if I can't get WoW to work, its just frustrating having no clue what to do to get it running, no matter who's 'how to' I use

Have you tried installing it through something like Wine Doors or Play on Linux? They're supposed to automate all the Wine config.

semitone36
October 4th, 2008, 12:14 AM

I did notice that you started another thread to address your problem but you didnt follow up on it. How-tos are nice but they dont account for every problem out there. Thats what these forums are for:)

If you havent yet, I would give WINE a try, I believe it is the most popular program for running WoW on linux. There is even a specific forum here for WINE in case you run into any more troubles.

inxygnuu
October 4th, 2008, 12:34 AM
It depends:

1) do you have the recovery disk? if yes, bill gates made windows so that it would murder any other OS on the Hard drive, Unless you installed it another partition. If no, then I cant help.

2) are the windows files still on there? if yes, then you can Google "dual-boot" and look at the results. if no, then you should have the code, and you can go online to see if the company will give you a re installation disk.

-good luck and if you find any kind of disk for vista, pm me, same thing happened to me. hang in there, and good luck.