PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install hang during install

johnnymusso
October 2nd, 2008, 03:21 PM
I am a newbie and decided to use an older machine (Dell Dimension 4300) to install and test/play with Ubuntu workstation.
The installation will run to a point and then stop where it is displaying the bird on the screen. No icons, no bars at top or bottom, nothing. Cd Integrity check passes with no errors found. This behavior occurs if I "try ubuntu without any change to your computer" or if I "install ubuntu" from the menu.
Once again, I'm a newbie so I'd appreciate some newbie instruction on troubleshooting.

Linux Ubuntu 2.6.24-19-generic
Intel Pentium 4 1.60 Ghz with 128mb ram, agp video card ati rage 128 ultra. Hdd = IBM-DTLA-20Gb - not partitioned at all.

Sef
October 2nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
Intel Pentium 4 1.60 Ghz with 128mb ram

128 mb ram? That is your problem. Ubuntu really needs at least 512 ram to run well. At minimum the Live CD needs 384 mb ram to install. It can run on 256 mb ram, but it will be slow.

johnnymusso
October 2nd, 2008, 03:39 PM
Thanks, will add ram and see. Always knew Linux to require minimal hardware configuration in the past so I haven't researched the minimal requirements like I should have.

snowpine
October 2nd, 2008, 04:16 PM
If you bump your ram up to 512mb, Ubuntu should run fine on that computer. I have been happy with performance on my pentium 4 machine. Good luck!

It is true that there are Linux distros that run well on 128mb (we debate them endlessly on these forums), however, Ubuntu is not one of them. It's designed to be very user friendly and have all the "bells and whistles" that a typical desktop user expects.