PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] switching xp for ubuntu?

atorres0506
October 2nd, 2008, 03:04 PM
Hello all,

This is my first thread and first time here. I've been using windows for some time now and am actually getting sick of it. I was thinking of using ubuntu instead. So far all the applications I got on my computer will work with ubuntu. My question is, is switching xp for ubuntu the right choice?

Thanks!

Kale Kold
October 2nd, 2008, 03:09 PM
Yes

Joeb454
October 2nd, 2008, 03:09 PM
It depends - sometimes people don't like linux, others do.

Yes

Linux isn't for everybody.

Could you post your PC spec's? Chances are you'll be able to run a live CD first to see if you like it

Bölvağur
October 2nd, 2008, 03:10 PM
it is impossible to know without detailed information how you use your computer.

I guess this is one of those topics when you get as detailed information as you give on your problem :)

bumanie
October 2nd, 2008, 03:13 PM
Impossible to say until you try it. You are the only one who can decide that. Initially you could either install via wubi or dual boot with windows until you learn more about linux. It in most cases is not harder to use, in fact many features are easier, but one needs to develop a different mindset. For me and many others, windows is a relic from the past - try ubuntu, keep an open mind and give yourself time to learn and you will probably see the ubuntu/linux advantages. Nothing ventured, nothing gained - You can always return to windows if linux does not suit you.

Thelasko
October 2nd, 2008, 03:15 PM
Keep in mind it is better to use native Linux software than to run programs in Wine. See this page (http://linuxappfinder.com/alternatives) for a list of Windows programs that have Linux alternatives. I recommend using the search function, as the list is many pages long. Keep in mind that this is not a complete list.

Also, make sure you are familiar with installing software in Ubuntu (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware). It's much different than Windows.

Sef
October 2nd, 2008, 03:19 PM
Chances are you'll be able to run a live CD first to see if you like it

Run the Live CD for a while. If there is a problem with your hardware on the Live CD that problem will exist upon install.

lys1123
October 2nd, 2008, 03:21 PM
Hello all,

This is my first thread and first time here. I've been using windows for some time now and am actually getting sick of it. I was thinking of using ubuntu instead. So far all the applications I got on my computer will work with ubuntu. My question is, is switching xp for ubuntu the right choice?

Thanks!

I just recently made the switch myself. Because my wife had to buy into Ubuntu in addition to me buying in, I decided to play it safe and install Ubuntu on my XP machine. The ability to dual boot worked as a safety net initially, until we quickly realized we just weren't booting into XP anymore.

Now, I have setup a Virtualbox environment with XP so I can do the few things I still need Windows for (i.e. watching Netflix movies online) without having to actually reboot. We never use the XP boot option anymore.

I hope that helps.