PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Server install

Warlock!
October 2nd, 2008, 05:10 AM
Hi all,

I ma new to Ubuntu and have no idea as to how Linux works. I am trying to get VMware installed on the machine but can not get the graphic user interface working.

The install went fine but on trying to start the interface it failed any suggestions?

I have used the "sudo apt-get install xinit" but now I get the error "X: cannot stat /etc/X11/X (No such file or directory), aborting."

Any help would be appreicated.

windependence
October 2nd, 2008, 05:18 AM
What version of VMware are you using?

You don't have to have a GUI on the server itself. Just connect from another computer in a browser like this http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where the x is the IP address of your server. There will be a link to download an additional GUI tool (for *******). You can download the control center and run it from there. You never need to laod a GUI on the server for any reason.

-Tim

Warlock!
October 2nd, 2008, 11:36 PM
Thanks Tim, I am a newbee, I picked up the IP address, but it only comes up with "It Works" There are no other links how can I find out what these are?

The version of VMware that I am intending on using is VMware 1.0.6 for Linux. It should work but then again I am an idiot when it comes to Linux as such. Have spent to much time on Windoz Products.