PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] partitioning when installing

mickeyd1965
October 1st, 2008, 10:04 AM
Hi,
I am installing ubuntu 8.04 and are having some problems trying to set up a home partition.

mickeyd1965

Partyboi2
October 1st, 2008, 10:33 AM
What part of setting up a /home partition are you having a problem?

mickeyd1965
October 1st, 2008, 11:21 AM
at first i installed ubuntu 8.04 using the entire disk, then i decided to partition the the disk. I found out that i should use gparted live cd, which i did. I partitioned it. When i tried to save something to it it told me i didn't have permission. I came to ubuntu formus and found out how to get permission. I did what i was supposed to do with the terminal, but it had a sh** attack. i tried fo ages to do it but no luck. I then decided to re install ubuntu and partition it that way, but i couldn't delete the previous installation without using the entire disk. I have tried using gparted with the live cd but when i tried to save something to it,it gave me some error message about the backend. so in the end i have re installed ubuntu using the entire disk. It seems too advanced a task for me.

thanks

oldos2er
October 1st, 2008, 02:10 PM
Have you read http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome ?

mickeyd1965
October 2nd, 2008, 12:38 AM
Thanks Ann,
I'll give it a try when i've recovered. I've been at this for a week for a few hours each night. At the moment i don't want to even look at a computer.

mickeyd1965