PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] MIgrating your Ubuntu Installation!

ezek1el
September 30th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I want to migrate my ubuntu installation from desktop to my laptop! That means i'll be keeping ubuntu on both of my computers!
Why Migrating? Because on desktop i've updated ubuntu and it runs fine & i don't want 2 install updates again on laptop!
Why not clean install on laptop? Because ive installed XP-SP2 & MAC OS X Leopard 10.5.2 on my Laptop(dual boot)! I want 2 triple boot but when installing ubuntu, also i am getting stupid "Soft Lock On CPU #0(1) Error!"!
Here is Desktop Config:
*Q6600-2.4Ghz x 4CPU's
*4 GB DDR2 800MHz.
*XFX 8800GT
*XP-SP2 + Vista + Ubuntu(i386)!
Here is Laptop Config:
*Core 2 duo (1.6 Ghz x 2 CPU's)
*1 GB DDR2 500 Mhz
*Model: Sony Vaio VGN-N27GH!
*Intel Chipset + Intel Wireless!
*XP-SP2 + MAC OS X + ?(Your Help!)
Please Help Guys I don't want 2 install all my programs all over again on my laptop! [-(

Greyed
September 30th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Please Help Guys I don't want 2 install all my programs all over again on my laptop! [-(

Er, why not? The programs are fairly static. What you really want to move over is your preferences. IE, your configuration. Those are stored mainly in two locations.

/etc
~

/etc you don't want to move over since the system wide preferences on a desktop are going to differ from those of a laptop. Besides, unless you've done a lot of heavy modification in /etc (doubtful unless you run a server) chances are you can safely ignore any changes there.

That leaves your home directory. That's a simple copy operation once your laptop is on the network.

The last hurdle is matching the the applications that are installed on your desktop.

dpkg --get-selections | grep -v deinstall > packages

That will store your current list of installed packages.

Copy that file over to the laptop then run these commands.

dpkg --set-selections < packages
sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade

Tadaaaa, your programs are automatically installed to match what you have on your desktop.

Of course I wrote those ideas out of order. So here they are in order.

1: Install a base [K|X]Ubuntu of your preference.
2: Get it on the network
3: Run the dpkg --get-selections command on your desktop.
4: Copy the packages file to your laptop and probably /etc/apt/sources.list as well.
5: Run the dpkg --set-selections & apt-get commands.
6: Copy over your home directory.
7: Log out of and back into your GUI. You should have a system set up pretty much identically to your desktop without all the heartburn of trying to copy over settings which aught not be copied.

cariboo907
September 30th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Can I ask why you are running a 32bit distribution on a quad core computer with 4GB ram?

Jim

MrFSL
September 30th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Can I ask why you are running a 32bit distribution on a quad core computer with 4GB ram?

Jim

Kudos - people actually read other people's system specs. I normally just blindly gloss over them.

ezek1el
September 30th, 2008, 08:48 AM
THANK YOU!Well thats what i was looking for, if u confirm that all programs on my laptop will be as same as on my Desktop!
Well isn't there any way that i could burn complete ubuntu install on Dual layer DVD so i just have to put it in tray & bang! Installed, on my Laptop!
Just wondering, cuz Fedora 9 sulphur has some anaconda install error, morever ubuntu 's giving me soft lock error! So my laptop is just not taking it!
And i don't want 2 install open suse!

ezek1el
September 30th, 2008, 08:53 AM

Jim

Well sir, as u can see i am "First cup of Ubuntu!" :D
So i got ubuntu 8.04 i386 dvd & ive installed it! If u can help, then tell me, that developing graphics on open gl with i686 will be easy or not or something different! I am a windows guy with DX knowledge on x64 vista!

ezek1el
September 30th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Kudos - people actually read other people's system specs. I normally just blindly gloss over them.

Actually, i thought u might know more about my system coz u know both are having 3 Operating Systems! :) - Kudos :)