PDA

View Full Version : Forum suggestions

DrMega
September 29th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Not sure where to put this thread, perhaps the mods might move it to wherever they see fit.

A couple of thoughts about UF:

1. What happened to the 'Get unanswered posts' search option?
2. Why not have a search filter that searches the tech support sections and only lists the threads that are not marked as solved?
3. Why isn't there a 'Forum feedback' area under 'Forum feedback and help'?

LowSky
September 29th, 2008, 08:49 PM
1. Enter a forum area like Absolute Beginers and use forum tools

2. Confused doesnt Search for the most part do that already?

3.there is one under Forum Community Discussions

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=48

DrMega
September 29th, 2008, 09:09 PM
1. Enter a forum area like Absolute Beginers and use forum tools

That's not the same thing. That would mean trawling through each forum individually. There used to be an unanswered posts menu item in the search menu. I used to use it to see if anyone was stranded without being helped. Sometimes if the forum is very busy a post can quickly disappear off the bottom of the 'New Posts' search results page (of course you can still flick through the pages but that's not as efficient).

2. Confused doesnt Search for the most part do that already?

Not that I've seen. There might be such an option in the main search dialog but again it would be quicker to find cases where people are still stuck if it was just a couple of mouse clicks.

3.there is one under Forum Community Discussions

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Ok. Perhaps not the most obvious place to put it but I should have looked harder:)

LaRoza
September 29th, 2008, 09:26 PM
1. What happened to the 'Get unanswered posts' search option?

It is in each forum, under "Forum Tools" above the posts on the right.

DrMega
September 29th, 2008, 09:29 PM
It is in each forum, under "Forum Tools" above the posts on the right.

But that means going into each forum seperately. There used to be an option under the main search menu. It was so much quicker to seek out posts that hadn't been answered, right across the whole of UF (apart from the evil bit we don't talk about (OMGPP) of course).

LaRoza
September 29th, 2008, 09:35 PM
But that means going into each forum seperately. There used to be an option under the main search menu. It was so much quicker to seek out posts that hadn't been answered, right across the whole of UF (apart from the evil bit we don't talk about (OMGPP) of course).

Yes, that is 100% true, except that when it was in testing, a global Unanswered Posts search would...crash the forum ;)

aysiu
September 29th, 2008, 09:41 PM
This is how I do it.

DrMega
September 29th, 2008, 09:50 PM
This is how I do it.

Thanks, but still not as quick as a single menu item in in the search menu.

Yes, that is 100% true, except that when it was in testing, a global Unanswered Posts search would...crash the forum ;)

That makes sense. It would be quite a resource intensive query. Perhaps a solution might be to have a query that finds posts over > 1 hr and < 48 hrs old that are unanswered. That way you'd keep the timestamp in the query, making it fast and efficient while limiting to the results to those that have been missed but where the thread starter might not have given up on them.