PDA

View Full Version : TiVo & Nero announce kit to turn WinPC into tv recorder

waltclay
September 29th, 2008, 05:02 PM
TiVo (TIVO) and Germany's Nero are expected to announce today the launch of a $199 kit that will turn a Windows PC into a TV recorder. The kit could help TiVo break into foreign markets where it doesn't sell its set-top device.

This superfluous sentence is entered to keep message from being "too short."

newlinux
September 29th, 2008, 05:32 PM
yeah I saw this. Looks like it will include a Hauppage 950q and peanut like remote, and a $99 version without the tuner. Plus $99/year for subscription after the first year!!! Wonder if they will release a linux version... Just out of curiousity, doubt I'd ever pay this much...

ReddogOne
September 29th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Seems a bit expensive as I'm sure you can get competitive (commercial) software cheaper if that's what you want.

netslacker
September 29th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I was excited about this until I realized that the TiVo service subscription was still required. Sure, it's included in the first year but one of the main reasons I moved to Myth was to remove subscriptions from my TV viewing (I currently pay ZERO per mo. for my TV).

dsbw
October 1st, 2008, 04:19 AM
I was excited about this until I realized that the TiVo service subscription was still required. Sure, it's included in the first year but one of the main reasons I moved to Myth was to remove subscriptions from my TV viewing (I currently pay ZERO per mo. for my TV).

What do you do for guide info?

SiHa
October 2nd, 2008, 12:44 PM
Well in the UK the BBC gives it to us for nowt. Although I just use the EIT data, 8 days is enough, generally.

newlinux
October 2nd, 2008, 03:14 PM
I think there are a couple of threads here with solutions on getting free guide data into myth for the US too...