PDA

View Full Version : Infractions for calling each other trolls without reason

Canis familiaris
September 28th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Seriously. This is going over the top. All over in the Community Cafe and Ubuntu Testimonials and Experiences and even in support forums, people are being called Trolls and Fanboys for absoloutely no reason and at all, but only for disagreeing with them. And I feel sorry that no action such as jailing, warning, infraction is given to such people who induldge in such insulting and inappropriate behaviour.
Time and again, people are called Trolls and Fanboys just for showing their opinion on an OS, calling MS as "M$", etc. Does really disagreeing with a user or referring to MS as "M$" refer to akin to trolling? I don't think so.
See Below a quote from Linux Desktop Readiness Thread.
The User was called troll for no reason at all. Elsewhere in the thread, a lot of users are calling each other trolls and zealots.

"Any person can install it on any computer without any problems" - what any Linux is not right now, and not even close.

Hi troll. BTW, this doesn't apply to any other OS, either. Not Windows.
Not Mac OSX. None. Begone.

I feel that the Staff should take a view on this regard and do appropriate action such as jailing, warning, infraction against the unwarranted insults taking place in the forums.

KiwiNZ
September 28th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Its simple ,its called the report button

Canis familiaris
September 28th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Its simple ,its called the report button

I know, but the problem is that people tend to bite back rather than click the Report Button. There need to be public awareness that calling each others as "troll" without reason is against the forum rules.

loell
September 28th, 2008, 08:00 AM
i think we all have our concerns in this forum,imho if you feel theres a need for some awareness of this kind of behavior then campaign for it.

probably replace some of your sig? don't call anybody a troll? ;) heheh..

LaRoza
September 28th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Seriously. This is going over the top. All over in the Community Cafe and Ubuntu Testimonials and Experiences and even in support forums, people are being called Trolls and Fanboys for absoloutely no reason and at all, but only for disagreeing with them. And I feel sorry that no action such as jailing, warning, infraction is given to such people who induldge in such insulting and inappropriate behaviour.

Please report such behavior. We deal with things as we see them, but the majority of issues are found through reports.

I feel that the Staff should take a view on this regard and do appropriate action such as jailing, warning, infraction against the unwarranted insults taking place in the forums.
We do, however, we have rather few staff compared to members and posts ;)

I do agree that mindless calling people trolls and fanyboys (when it is not an obvious joke) is unacceptable.

loell
September 28th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I do agree that mindless calling people trolls and fanyboys (when it is not an obvious joke) is unacceptable.

but giving infractions won't solve the problem, if indeed this the course of action. mostly this are new user calling new users a troll who's probably unaware.

so, for those who's concerned, why not just make a simple rebuttal right then and there? simply qoute it and say calling one user a troll because he's complaining is not right and let the flow of the conversation take its course.

LaRoza
September 28th, 2008, 08:21 AM
so, for those who's concerned, why not just make a simple rebuttal right then and there? simply qoute it and say calling one user a troll because he's complaining is not right and let the flow of the conversation take its course.

Usually, that will be the course of action.

pp.
September 28th, 2008, 08:48 AM
See Below a quote from Linux Desktop Readiness Thread.
The User was called troll for no reason at all.

I remember having seen that thread. It started with a number of assertions which were obviously false to fact and which could have been verified very easily by the OP. The assertions were so vague as to be unanswerable. The whole post was written in a style very well suited to evoke emotional responses.

During the thread, OP was asked for specifics, and those questions were ignored. Practically all posts which contradicted those of the OP were called prejudiced, one way or the other.

It's kind of subjective, but I think there are reasons to suspect OP of trolling. I also think that the posts by OP were less than respectful towards the members of this forum and towards Linux users in general.

schauerlich
September 28th, 2008, 08:50 AM
a quote from Linux Desktop Readiness Thread.

<Adam_Savage_Voice>
Well THERE'S your problem!
</Adam_Savage_Voice>

kevdog
September 28th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Troll!

Frak
September 28th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I got called a troll by a staff member...

Serious, then I got an infraction for making it personal, but the staff member, I shall not name unless somebody asks below me, got nothing.

Canis familiaris
September 28th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Troll!

lol

LaRoza
September 28th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Serious, then I got an infraction for making it personal, but the staff member, I shall not name unless somebody asks below me, got nothing.

Infractions and reprimands are usually not public (unless one makes them public).

Exactly how do you know the nameless staff member "got nothing".

Frak
September 28th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Infractions and reprimands are usually not public (unless one makes them public).

Exactly how do you know the nameless staff member "got nothing".
Tentative assumption

Wherever I have been admin, I have noticed those that break conduct or abuse are usually the last ones to be reprimanded. On all of them, we have formed a clique, and that has made it difficult for those who should be punished to be punished. Its hard to punish a friend isn't it?

LaRoza
September 28th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Tentative assumption

Wherever I have been admin, I have noticed those that break conduct or abuse are usually the last ones to be reprimanded. On all of them, we have formed a clique, and that has made it difficult for those who should be punished to be punished. Its hard to punish a friend isn't it?

I've been reprimanded for misdoings ;)

I don't publically announce it, and the FC doesn't publically tell all the other staff. If a staff consistantly does wrong, they may be let go. It has happened, but it is not advertised.

Contrary to the way some people think, the FC and staff do care and don't like to take action, but when we do, we try to keep it quiet and friendly. Of course, they/we have to be met half way.

jdong
September 28th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Tentative assumption

As LaRoza just went out of her way to point out, the Forum Council does keep a close eye on the entire operation and is quite proactive at taking corrective measures where we see necessary. If you look through our history, several staff have been let go due to irreconcilable performance or conduct issues. We don't feel it's necessary or helpful to publicly announce these events as they take place.