PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mount: Must be superuser to mount.

TheFly
September 27th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Hi there.
I have just installed Ubuntu EEE after having a bluescreen when i used windows xp.
But I need to use my external hard drive to transfer some files to ubuntu, but when I connect the hd to the eee usb-port and try to open it, it says: "Cannot mount volume.".
Details: Mount: Must be superuser to mount.

How can I fix this, and make the external hd available ?

perlluver
September 27th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Hi there.
I have just installed Ubuntu EEE after having a bluescreen when i used windows xp.
But I need to use my external hard drive to transfer some files to ubuntu, but when I connect the hd to the eee usb-port and try to open it, it says: "Cannot mount volume.".
Details: Mount: Must be superuser to mount.

How can I fix this, and make the external hd available ?

You will want to
sudo mount /dev/hdb1 /media/disk or whatever it may be.

Xiong Chiamiov
September 27th, 2008, 09:38 PM
You need to have root priviledges to mount a drive. Many desktop environments get around this with the HAL daemon, which allows you (as I understand it) to mount drives automagically in the /media folder under a normal user account. I don't know what your Linux experience is, but are you comfortable with that, or do you need more specific assistance*?

* Which I probably can't help you with, since I've never used the Ubuntu EEE.

Dr Small
September 27th, 2008, 09:43 PM
If the device is not specified in /etc/fstab with the 'user' option, then you will need to use sudo to mount the drive. Otherwise, sudo is not needed.

Dr Small

TheFly
September 27th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the answers, but I think it is a bit complicated.

I have this My Book... And i typed : "sudo mount /dev/hdb1 /media/My Book"

Then a list with commands and so appears... but I am not really sure how to use the commands.

Can anyone explain in an easy way how to get the My Book to work?

Thanks!

Xiong Chiamiov
September 27th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the answers, but I think it is a bit complicated.

I have this My Book... And i typed : "sudo mount /dev/hdb1 /media/My Book"

Then a list with commands and so appears... but I am not really sure how to use the commands.

Can anyone explain in an easy way how to get the My Book to work?

Thanks!
Two things I see with that:

1. Make sure that the folder /media/My Book exists. You can't mount to a folder that doesn't already exist on your computer.
2. My Book has a space in it. When you type

sudo mount /dev/hdb1 /media/My Book

mount sees 3 arguments: /dev/hdb1, /media/My, and Book. The easiest way to fix this is to include it in single-quotes:

sudo mount /dev/hdb1 '/media/My Book'

TheFly
September 27th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I have checked /media now, and there are two folders:
cdrom and cdrom0... How am I to create a new My Book folder, when you cannot right click and add a folder?

Dr Small
September 27th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I have checked /media now, and there are two folders:
cdrom and cdrom0... How am I to create a new My Book folder, when you cannot right click and add a folder?

sudo mkdir "/media/My Book"

perlluver
September 27th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Also could you please post the output of
sudo fdisk -l so that we can make sure that the other hard drive is /dev/hdb1 and not named something else.

TheFly
September 27th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Okay, thanks!

New problem after typing "sudo mount /dev/hdb1 '/media/My Book':
"mount: special device /dev/hdb1 does not exist"

Hm.. What exactly is /dev/hdb1?

perlluver
September 27th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Okay, thanks!

New problem after typing "sudo mount /dev/hdb1 '/media/My Book':
"mount: special device /dev/hdb1 does not exist"

Hm.. What exactly is /dev/hdb1?

That is what the hard drive is called, that is why I asked for sudo fdisk -l.

For an example, I have two hard drives, first one is /dev/sda1, this is where Linux is, the second one is /dev/sda2, that is where I keep my files.

TheFly
September 27th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I have sda and sdb on mine. Sda is where linux is, and sdb is where my files are.

When i type :" sudo mount /dev/sda '/media/My Book'" it says "mount: /dev/sda already mounted or /media/My Book busy

perlluver
September 27th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I have sda and sdb on mine. Sda is where linux is, and sdb is where my files are.

When i type :" sudo mount /dev/sda '/media/My Book'" it says "mount: /dev/sda already mounted or /media/My Book busy

You will want to type sudo mount /dev/sdb1 '/media/My Book', the one is important. And yes sda1 is already mounted if that is where Linux is Installed.

Xiong Chiamiov
September 27th, 2008, 10:29 PM
/dev/sdb refers to the 2nd hard drive, which /dev/sdb1 refers to the 1st partition on that drive. For instance, I have some 10-odd partitions on one of my drives (for various operating systems), which I differentiate between with /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, etc.

Posting the output of

sudo fdisk -l

as requested will help us explain this a bit better.

TheFly
September 27th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Okay, it seemed to be mounted now, but the "superuser"-error still appears when I try to open the my book..

perlluver
September 27th, 2008, 10:33 PM
You will want to own My Book so
sudo chown username '/media/My Book' then you should be able to access the directory.

TheFly
September 27th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I will have to rewrite everything from terminal since I cannot use the Wi Fi on the internet with my eee, so I am on another computer now. I cannot copy it with a USB stick either, since the same error occurs...

Device boot: boot: Start: End:
/dev/sda1 * 1 486 Linux
/dev/sda2 487 490 Linux Swap

Device boot: start end
/dev/sdb1 1 981 Linux

Xiong Chiamiov
September 27th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Okay, it seemed to be mounted now, but the "superuser"-error still appears when I try to open the my book..
I was about to ask if you have followed my instructions to chmod and chown it, then realized that was in a different thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5866189&postcount=8)...

You should be able to copy files if you open nautilus as root:

gksudo nautilus

perlluver
September 27th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Ok summing this all up:
sudo chown yourusername '/media/My Book' then
sudo mount /dev/sdb1 '/media/My Book' then you should be able to open and transfer files from that hard drive. Or you can do the above stated by Xiong.

Dr Small
September 27th, 2008, 10:44 PM
You can also try:

sudo mount -o rw,user /dev/sdb1 '/media/My Book'

TheFly
September 27th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Perlluver: I have now entered both commands, but it didn't seem to work? Still getting the error.

perlluver
September 27th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Perlluver: I have now entered both commands, but it didn't seem to work? Still getting the error.

Did you try what Xiong said, opening up gksudo nautilus and trying from there?

TheFly
September 27th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Yes, then I get "Cannot mount volume. Invalid mount option when attempting to mount the volume 'My Book'"

perlluver
September 27th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Yes, then I get "Cannot mount volume. Invalid mount option when attempting to mount the volume 'My Book'"

Ok instead of trying to open that, run gksudo nautilus and then just mount /dev/hdb1. It will mount it to another location.

TheFly
September 27th, 2008, 10:54 PM
You mean I should first type gksudo nautilus (then the root folder appears) and then do a new command in the terminal with /dev/hdb1 ?

hdb1 doesn't exist on my laptop, btw?

TheFly
September 27th, 2008, 11:09 PM
However, "/dev/sdb1" is already mounted on /home it says, after running "mount /dev/sdb1" from root.

TheFly
September 27th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Also could you please post the output of
sudo fdisk -l so that we can make sure that the other hard drive is /dev/hdb1 and not named something else.

anders@anders-laptop:~$ sudo fdisk -l
sudo: timestamp too far in the future: Sep 28 02:24:51 2008
[sudo] password for anders:

Disk /dev/sda: 4034 MB, 4034838528 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 490 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x6eb0b942

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 486 3903763+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 487 490 32130 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 8069 MB, 8069677056 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 981 cylinders
Disk identifier: 0x000dc136

/dev/sdb1 1 981 7879851 83 Linux

Disk /dev/sdc: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Disk identifier: 0x44fdfe06

/dev/sdc1 1 38913 312568641 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

nothingspecial
September 27th, 2008, 11:34 PM
There are 2 main users on your system - root and you.
Root owns your system. It allows you access to directories (folders) that ,if you change or delete them, will not harm your system.
For some reason your my book is owned by root.
You cannot mount it, or copy things on to it, or copy things from it, or delete things from it etc.
Typing sudo and gksudo in the terminal and then entering your password gives you temporary root powers to manipulate these directories should you need to.
You shouldn`t do this with most directories owned by root but some times stuff that you should own is owned by root, such as your My Book.

Typing sudo mount is giving you the root powers to mount that drive.

Typing sudo chown (change owner) is giving you the power to change who owns it - root can give it to you but you can`t take it from root.
So (give me powers) sudo (change the owner) chown (to me) yourusername (of this directory)'/media/My Book'

gksudo gives you root powers over guis (windows, as in pointy clicky things not microsoft)

Nautilus is a file browser, when you click on places in your menus the window opens with nautilus. gksudo nautilus opens these files as root so that you can drag, drop and delete by pointing and clicking.
When you have finished with nautilus as root you should close it straight away just in case you forget you are root and change something you shouldn`t by mistake.

All this root business may seem like a pain at times but it`s why we don`t get viruses and it keeps you from messing up your system. Most people who totally waste their system do so by becoming root - I speak from experience.

I`m sorry if I`m being too simplistic but a little understanding can help alot and this is absolute beginners.

nothingspecial
September 27th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Disk /dev/sdc: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Disk identifier: 0x44fdfe06

/dev/sdc1 1 38913 312568641 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

Ok assuming your My Book is a 320gig external it`s /dev/sdc1

TheFly
September 27th, 2008, 11:43 PM
It seemed to be sdc1 yeah!
Thanks a lot for the explaination! Now I things are a bit clearer.

TheFly
September 28th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Now that I have turned the computer on again, it gives me the same error (must be superuser). Do I have to mount the device every single time I connect it to the pc?

TheFly
September 28th, 2008, 06:35 PM
After trying the chown command, terminal says

anders@anders-laptop:~$ sudo chown anders '/media/My Book'
chown: changing ownership of `/media/My Book': Operation not permitted

Zoasterboy
October 11th, 2008, 02:18 AM
@TheFly:

I had the same problem using Ubuntu-eee and was able to solve it from help provided in this post. As to your question, you will have to mount at every boot.

To make this easier, just create a script you can click on after booting. This is how I did it:

1. Open text editor and enter the mount command (sudo mount dev/...)

2. Save as "MountSD.sh" or name it whatever you want, including sh helps signify that it is a shell script.

3. Right click the new file and hit Properties. Go to the Permissions tab and make sure the "Allow executing file as program" check box is checked.

4. Now, whenever you want to mount, just click the file (or a link to it) and click "Run in Terminal".

There is probably a way to build this into the ubuntu-netbook menu system for the eee, but I have no idea how.

*EDIT*
I've found out that manually mounting like this causes problems, as you can't un-mount from the main menu, and the icon will stay there in the main menu even if the drive is removed. The only way to get it to go away is to do a reboot. I have not tried manually un-mounting yet.

B3n3v3nt3
October 13th, 2008, 09:12 AM
This problem also happens with my pendrive, it's very simple to solve :)

In /etc/fstab:

/dev/sdb1 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

^Just delete that line

josel777
October 13th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Here is what you do:

- open a terminal
- sudo nano /etc/fstab
- find the line where /media/cdrom is mentioned and put a # at the beginning
- ctrl+o forsaving, ctrl + x for closing
- try again your stick

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=351430

got_rice64
October 21st, 2008, 11:41 PM
Just figured it out with a friend right before i got to the last post.. Sigh.. would have saved like 45min.

If an admin would please mark this solved...

The commenting the cdrom0 line solved my problem.